Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Plumbing question anyone ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Changing a tap washer on a hot tap in the bathroom, on a system that still has a hot water tank. If I turn off the stop cock under the sink in t kitchem will that turn off the water to the hot tap.?
NR
I would look under the sink to see if there is a way of isolating that hot tap The may be what looks like a straight connector that either has a ref plastic tap or a small screw head that would require a screw driver.

If you don't have either of these under the sink then there may be a way of shutting off the outlet from the hot tank.

If not you may have to drain down the hot tank and loose all that lovely hot water so have a bath.

If you don't have the isolators for each tap, fit them while the water is off so you don't have this problem again
That should say RED plastic tap
(13 October 2012, 12:27)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]Changing a tap washer on a hot tap in the bathroom, on a system that still has a hot water tank. If I turn off the stop cock under the sink in t kitchem will that turn off the water to the hot tap.?
NR

If you have a hot water tank the main stopcock won't stop the flow of water to the hot taps until the hot water header tank is empty.

Ideally turn off the outlet from the hot water tank but if that is difficult make sure any hot water heating system is turned off, shut the main stopcock and let it drain down - wastes a lot of water but will stop eventually.

One tip is to also turn on all the hot taps, this helps prevent water potentially running out of the pipes while you are in the middle of the job as the air gets in to the rest of the pipes.

As prepperjohn says, now is a good time to fit isolating valves to make it easier next time.

Good luck Smile
if your system is a balanced flue (gas) it will turn off hot & cold if gravity fed tank look in the airing cupboard there is normally a gate valve for the hot water (wheel type) normally close that turn on basin and bath taps (to drain the pipes) and your away son...... you can do it live if you sas trained turn on all hot water taps on but only try if you are a mean mother f..ker like my wifey
If its an immersion heater type hot water cylinder fed by a header tank, you can put a cork or other sort of bung in the tank outlet. You will get a wet arm but save a tank full of water plus the time it would have taken to drain the tank down.
The outlet of the header tank that is, not the hot water cylinder!
When I lived in a house with a tank, I would do the work after the water had been used - morning baths and dishes done so I was not running out a load of water I had paid to heat up.