Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Flooding.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My partner and I have seen a nice plot of land in another not so far away country, it is everything we have ever dreamed off, only one thing though..it has a small stream...."Oh great!" I hear you cry, but I'm thinking...What if there is a very dry summer, the stream dries up, then we have a few days of really heavy rain, will said stream flood? What is Flash flooding? is there a difference?
Thanks Smile
As far as i know flash fooding is caused by a lot of rain falling in a short space of time prob in an area with mountains or steep hills the run off then forming a flood hopre that helps
a flash flood is an event that occurs within 6 hours . generally, flash flooding events develop rapidly and can occur anywhere water collects, especially areas of steep terrain, and water runoffs. flash floods rarely last more than 12 hours.

a flood is an event that occurs after 6 hours generally, flooding events usually take longer to develop and they usually occur along or near larger rivers. The duration of flooding events may extend longer than 24 hours, perhaps several days.
Also flash floods ( a sudden surge or terrent of water rushing through an area ) tend to be localised events , but floods ( rising water than can overwhelm huge areas of land over hundreds of miles) tend to happen slower.

Use a portable home, or built it on stilts.
if its on a flood plain stay away from it.
could be a useful source of water, might be a nearby spring too,

as for summer then rain, dont worry about it, it takes days of heavy rain before the ground gets saturated and groundwater runoff becomes a problem, so flooding wise, see if there are many hills around, if so, all the rain within those surrounding hills will flow down the easiest path, if thats the stream, it'll swell up, i'd recommend reading a little bit about flooding, hell just some gcse stuff, thats all i got but i got a good enough understanding to know what constitutes an area with flood risk Smile