Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Possibly the weirdest question I've ever asked
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Okay everyone

As many of you older timers know, I'm always asking 'odd' questions. Well, here's one that will probably top all the rest.

As a prepper with a lovely lady, we frequently have conversations that challenge both her and my perspectives on many things. She supports me fully and thinks 90% of what I do, in regards to prepping, is sensible. 5% is really extreme, and the final 5% is done with prepping as an excuse to do it. But she asked me a question that really got me thinking.

As a prepper, do I live in fear?

I've got my answer to this question, after much thinking. But it got me wondering about some other preppers out there.

I'd love to hear back from everyone to see what other people would say as a response to this same question.
Just done my english paper about prepping. For me its a fear of the unknown. We all face dark times ahead.
Huh Hmmmm..... Confused We can live our lives in one of two ways as I see it..... in fear or in certainty.

The fear that we live in is fear of losing what we have &/or fear of not getting what we want. Either way it comes down to attachment.

Methinks living in certainty means letting go of our attachments.

Rolleyes That make any sense? Undecided
No one is without fear, but being without hope or a plan as well as being afraid is the killer.
Fear keeps you alert and so long as you do not let fear rule you you will be OK, without fear comes complacency, complacency kills.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”
Yes, pretty much all I do as a survivalist is grounded in informed fear. Study geopolitics for a few decades and anyone else would be the same.
I remember when I first got on this forum, it was hugely about the news, and gear reviews. The reviews are reducing, and the news is increasing. Which suggests either a heightening of fear, or of awareness....or both.

My answer to HER question: I live in freedom, knowing that I have accounted and taken measure, of those items that bring me fear. Accounting for the things that I am worried about, has allowed me to be more comfortable and relaxed in everyday life.

I remember NR harping on about having a good plan. Silly NR, what does he know? Turns out....quite a bit. So I developed a plan, that he probably wouldn't refer to as GOOD. As a result of building a plan (as helped by everyone on this forum), I live thinking that 'If something were to happen, I should be able to adapt and develop whatever plan I have for said situation. Having a plan has given me ease and relaxation that if something were to happen, I would probably be okay. Moreover, if nothing were to happen, I would have had a wonderful life living it up learning and practicing skills like, snowboarding, skiing, diving, swimming, bike riding, emergency driving, bushcraft, camping, and a whole host of martial arts, along with cooking, wood work, ultra running, and a shed-load more stuff.

I live freely, because I lived in fear....which has now become, a life of awareness and fun.

Does that make sense?
(20 October 2012, 19:37)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]Does that make sense?

Rolleyes Aye, it actually does. Smile

Had to read it twice though. Wink
does make sense mate, alot of sense!

personally I fear collapse, not hugely, but enough to prep, prepping gives me peace of mind. to know i have a versatile skill set, am getting my fitness up and building those supplies up all help to bolster that, but most of all prepping gives me a preppers mindset, and i think thats the most important thing, as i learn i change the way i think about things, the way i see things, no instead of seeing a broken bicycle i see useable parts, instead of a branch i see tools, traps, weapons anything i can make Smile

so yes i fear the possibilities of collapse and accept that our modern civilisation is fragile, this is why i prep though, so i dont have to worry about it.
Maybe It's because I'm a woman but I'm s hitting it.....The fear of having to constantly look over my shoulder, The fear of one of us not surviving. The fear of the unknown. I'm not scared of going without or having to comprimise, I am however in fear of the crazy dudes who want what little I will have. How much pressure do you think I am under? 3 kids and a fella to protect. I'm only 5 foot 2 and knocking on 40. Hardly a spring chicken Sad
Pages: 1 2 3