Survival UK Forums

Full Version: My EMP Dilemma
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I live alone, no wife or kids, I wish to survive a TSHTF EMP scenario (most other scenarios I think I can cope with), but i also wish my immediate family to survive also, with who I have a fantastic relationship.

I live on the wirral, my sister in stockport, my folks Angelsey (they live in a great spot for seeing out the said scenario (where i wish to get to in the event.

My question: is it possible to save them all.

(26 October 2012, 00:05)Jan Wrote: [ -> ]My question: is it possible to save them all.

All things are possible. But whether it's probable or practical is another matter.

Now is a great time to start people prepping. Tell them about how bad this winter is meant to be, then get them some gear to help them out. That'll give them a good head start. After that, it's a case of who's with you, and who will be with you when something happens.

I know it sounds harsh, but look at whether you're able to survive an EMP scenario. If you're not okay, you pose a hinderance to those you'd wished to save.

Does that make sense?
Yeah, I think so,

Me on my own, I believe I can survive the event, but I think what your saying is, get my head together and consider the possibility that I might not be able to help them survive.

For me, It may be a case of coming off like a nutcase onetime (if I was to put to them that if the electricity went off, cars don't work after 12 hours).....(hope they listen) (maybe leave a copy of "one second after" or something similar at there house - on the bed), I believe that they are not stupid people, so they should get out of dodge any way they can and head towards my folks.

(this is me being optimistic)

subtly prod them into prepping would be the route i'd go down, like scythe said, get em some gear to help with the weather, then if theres a storm coming ask if they got enough food etc, just get them to stock up, surely but slowly im sure you could get them into prepping too, and once they are into prepping it'd make life alot easier in terms of making sure everyone can survive.

as for some form of plan, you should either head straight to stockport to rendezvous with your sister, or meet her near chester or something, then the 2 of you should travel together to your folks place in anglesey...but as your sister would have to traverse a distance on her own if she was a prepper that would help alot!...just avoid main roads and such like for travel, make sure you both got bikes, even if you end up travelling by car, having a bike in the car will be bloody useful, especially as you can travel further and faster on a bike than on foot, and probably carry more gear too

so yeah i'd say its entirely possible for you to both survive, it'd just be hard and require preparation in advance so you both know what you both gotta do, but once your together you should be able to get to your safe place just fine.....also a boat might be a good option too!
its quite possible to survive an EMP, its the electrics and electronics that will be knocked out, sheeple will not WANT to survive without their Xboxes, deadenders, freezers and fridges......dont forget this will knock out supermarket freezers and modern car computer components....so its worth having a bicycle or two.
(26 October 2012, 00:58)Jan Wrote: [ -> ]For me, It may be a case of coming off like a nutcase onetime (if I was to put to them that if the electricity went off, cars don't work after 12 hours).....(hope they listen) (maybe leave a copy of "one second after" or something similar at there house - on the bed), I believe that they are not stupid people, so they should get out of dodge any way they can and head towards my folks.

(this is me being optimistic)

I know what you're saying mate. I often fell like that! But we both know it's probably not going to come off well if you give it a try. Being more subtle is going to be the best way. I'd drop in a line like, "This winter is going to be harsh! I've heard from a friend that it's going to be the coldest winter since records began." That's always going to spark attention...and a small shot of adrenalin that will make the next part really stick. "If ANYTHING really bad like that happens, I'm heading to Angelsey to the folks." After that, say something like "I know it sounds nuts to head to mum and dad's, but he's worried the gas supply will run short like it did a couple of years ago, and in certain parts of the country the electrical systems won't be able to cope with the demand." Then you can just say you're off shopping soon to get stuff, before the first snowfall, because if you wait, you'll have to queue for ages and you might not get the stuff you want.

Probably best to split the above into a couple of conversations.
First convo: You're calling her because a friend from the Met told you to stock up soon, because there's a heavy snowfall on it's way.
Second convo: Your friends team underestimated the extent of the cold front. It could last a few weeks, so you're getting extra. Tell her to do the same.
Third convo: It's going to be the coldest since records began. Could damage the powergrid, pretty certain of gas shortage from increased demand. Then say "If it gets that bad, I'm heading up to Mum+Dad's place." Then maybe say "I'll come and get you, if it does, and we can travel up together."

Meeting up with someone is going to be difficult. If they set off a bit late. Or they set off early, wait for you, you set off a day later, and they've assumed the worst and gone up to M+D's, while you're sat there waiting for them to arrive. Better to meet at the location, or go to them and travel up together.
put it all into laymans terms, avoid technical terms or prepper type words, like scythe said, saying im going to stock up now before theres loads of queues is a perfect example, stating the need to stockpile supplies and supplying a logical and reasonable (to sheeple) reason why, after a certain amount of subtle injection of things like that you might be able to approach the topic more directly, i guess its all about tact Smile
the winter before last we were snowed in, the main roads were gritted but the side roads werent, 4X4's could just about get out, we couldnt, we had a store cupboard so no worries, apart from me walking the dog in the snow, we went NO WHERE for nearly 4 weeks, nearly ran out of UHT milk but nothing else(have increased our milk stock so this dosent happen again) just restocked when we were able to get to the supermarket..16 mile round trip.
You can try and educate people but whether they listen is another matter the girls I share with have started to prep in a small way but I'm lucky they actually listen and ask questions.
But whether they will survive is something that is hit or miss so to speak, they could lose all preps or worse these things are going to happen even if you are prepared for every eventually.
Is it possible to save them all.

Good question but one we cannot answer. No prepping is 100% guaranteed. The best you can do is all you can do. get them interested in prepping, sort out some plans for after an event who has the safest long term place. There are several key variables and you need to put plans in place to suit your own situation.

The answer to the question is Yes but it may take some hard decisions on the way.
Pages: 1 2