Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Caravans as BOLs / retreats
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just thinking aloud and decided I would like to get other peoples opinions on the concept of buying and refurbishing a two berth caravan and finding some place to site it that is not a caravan site.

Few of us can afford 2nd homes, or even afford to move out of town, but you can still buy used if tired but stil servicable caravans from about £300. Providing they are structurally sound and waterproof they can be gradually refitted and upgraded into usual temporary liesure or survival accomodation.
I used to have a tiny 9 ft 6 in long Compass Shadow two berth caravan, it had an end kitchen, toilet shower, storage space and could easily sleep three ( more in an orning if neccessary)

If we could find farmers, land owners etc to rent a piece of land from or buy small remote spots of forest we can legally set up a " shelter" to protect us from the elements as we tend the woodland we could end up with neat usuable weekend retreats.

Thoughts anyone?
If you look around for caravan scrappers, the sell the empty shells for about £100 quid or less.
they just strip the usefull parts out, maybe that'd be better though because you could then refit to your taste etc...
ebay usually have them as does gumtree and freecycle sometmes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Single-Axle-Ca...27cc2c74dd

Don't forget you can always put wanted ads on gumtree and freecycle less legwork for you and your bad back.

i nearly got one from freecycle last week, they just wanted rid...Just missed it though...damn...
mind I've already got a 16 footer trailer on the drive... dont know if the wife would go for a caravan as well.
I dismantled one a couple of years ago - belonged to the mother in law, mate wanted the chassis and I wanted the ali skin to weigh in. What I found was the seats, cupboards and toilet cubicle and wall cladding added a lot to how strong it was. After those were out, it did not take a lot to bust up the rest.

The chassis was also rotten in places, although it was fixable. If I had one and a place I could keep it, I would more than likely leave it as is, otherwise I would build a hut like the guy in the small spaces prog last night.

If you could get one into a derelict building you could get the best of both worlds, a warm and dry place to live with all the 12v and gas gizmos, plus the buildings solid walls for security purposes
i was thinking caravan i was also thinking if its not in a hidden / remote location you could go to it and find its been burnt down or trashed.
remote hidden or secure location .
(31 October 2012, 21:24)David075 Wrote: [ -> ]i was thinking caravan i was also thinking if its not in a hidden / remote location you could go to it and find its been burnt down or trashed.
remote hidden or secure location .

Yup I agree the location or facility its kept in is as important as the caravan itself, not easy but can be done though. My mate had a timber chalet up near Holy Island and cos he built it solid after three attempts to break in the scumbags burnt it down.
shipping container maybe but hard to place where you want .
As I mentioned in the latest container homes thread this is a bit of a dream for me BO wise. A bit more solid shelter than a tent for those that can't afford to buy a nice place in the country. A nice wood burning stove, some cached supplies nearby. Lovely.

But as mentioned the security risks of this kind of set up are high. Not so easy to pack up and run as a tarp/tent.
I fancied the idea of a caravan or mobile, sticking it in the corner of an old barn and building a wall of hay around it. Would be lovely and warm, but the security risk is far to great if you settle it into one place
(1 November 2012, 00:43)Sichr20 Wrote: [ -> ]I fancied the idea of a caravan or mobile, sticking it in the corner of an old barn and building a wall of hay around it. Would be lovely and warm, but the security risk is far to great if you settle it into one place

Thats what we originally had, A Compass Shadow 2 berth only 9ft 9 long and we got cosy with a farmer who owned a caravan park that was struggling, when he asked us what spot we wanted I asked him if we could simply site it behind his dutch barn out of sight and sound of everything else. He was happy to take my money and not lose a caravan parking spot.
Guys I understand the limitations involved with using a caravan, but lets be honest solid timber cabins and shipping containers get broken into and gutted all the time. I think its a case of putting as much effort into siting your shelter as it is on fitting it out.

One of the best I was told about was a converted box trailer that originally was used to move horseys about with, chap did it out as a mini retreat and kept in in a layby up n northern Scotland.
Pages: 1 2