Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Nearly Winter Diesel time
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
WINTER DIESEL
NR

Basically this explains why you need to buy your diesel for storing and caching in the winter.

EN590

BS EN 590:2004 (which supersedes BS EN 590:1999) lays down the maximum "cold filter plugging point" (CFPP, the temperature at which the fuel won't pass through a fuel filter) for UK diesel. Pretty much every UK forecourt sells diesel certified to BS EN 590.

- for diesel on sale between 16th March and 15th November, the max CFPP is -5 degrees C
- for diesel on sale between 16th November and 15th March, the max CFPP is -15 degrees C

If you've got problems with your diesel waxing, then either:
- it's been a lot colder than you realise
- you're running on summer diesel in the winter
- you're running on heating oil or something else which isn't "diesel"
- your local garage is being very naughty and needs reporting to Trading Standards

Or, of course, you might have bought a stockpile of 2000 litres of diesel back in June when it was cheap ...

(1 November 2012, 12:39)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]WINTER DIESEL
NR

Basically this explains why you need to buy your diesel for storing and caching in the winter.

EN590

BS EN 590:2004 (which supersedes BS EN 590:1999) lays down the maximum "cold filter plugging point" (CFPP, the temperature at which the fuel won't pass through a fuel filter) for UK diesel. Pretty much every UK forecourt sells diesel certified to BS EN 590.

- for diesel on sale between 16th March and 15th November, the max CFPP is -5 degrees C
- for diesel on sale between 16th November and 15th March, the max CFPP is -15 degrees C

If you've got problems with your diesel waxing, then either:
- it's been a lot colder than you realise
- you're running on summer diesel in the winter
- you're running on heating oil or something else which isn't "diesel"
- your local garage is being very naughty and needs reporting to Trading Standards

Or, of course, you might have bought a stockpile of 2000 litres of diesel back in June when it was cheap ...

Well ther's a coincidence!

Only this morning i decided to take the heavy oil burner on a long range visit that I will have to make tomorrow, in order to clear out the remains of summer fuel and get winter fuel well into the system ready for the cold.

I'll be running the washer reservoirs dry too and replacing fluid with low freezing point stuff.

I just have to remember to transfer GHB, from the daily run-about.

Thanks for the reminder anyway.

LS

Winter additives?
Buy after November and the cost of heating oil soars so I buy in the summer.
As usual I will add a gallon of kerosene to my heating oil brought in June and stir well when the average temperature drops to -5 Celsius.
Hasn't failed me yet and the air temp last year went down to -19 Celsius.

It also helps that the feeder pipe is 3/8" (9mm) ID as opposed to the usual 6 mm and it runs underground.

Central heating tank waxing.

My friend got caught by waxing so he siphoned two 20 liter Jerry cans out of his tank and direct piped them straight into his kitchen boiler. One jiggle siphon and a length of 6mm clear plastic tubing.

I heard of another guy who dropped a string of 12v cup heaters into his tank via the filler cap to heat the oil.

But the best one I heard was someone put up a tent over his 1300 liter tank and used a calor gas heater to defrost his tank and filter.