Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Reading the LDS Manual
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was reading the free downloadable LDS Manual and came across this in one of the sections.

People who were prepared were frequently mobbed/threatened by those who weren’t. This was reported in at least seven incidents, five in Mississippi, two in Louisiana (I suspect that the relative lack of Louisiana incidents was because most of those with any sense got out of Dodge before the storm hit).

In each case, the person/family concerned had made preparations for disaster, with supplies, shelter, etc. in good order and ready to go. Several had generators ready and waiting.

However, their neighbors who had not prepared all came running after the disaster, wanting food, water and shelter from them.
When the prepared families refused, on the grounds that they had very little, and that only enough for themselves, there were many incidents of aggression, attempted assault, and theft of their supplies.

Some had to use weapons to deter attack, and in some cases, shots were fired. I understand that in two incidents, attackers/would-be thieves were shot.

It’s also reported that in all of these cases, the prepared families now face threats of retribution from their neighbors, who regarded their refusal to share as an act of selfishness and/or aggression, and are now threatening retaliation.

It’s reportedly so bad that most of the prepared families are considering moving to other neighborhoods so as to start afresh, with different neighbors.

I know this is ancient news (dated January 1st, 2011) but it's just a reminder to us all about just how tenuous friendship is especially those who might be thinking of "being nice to your fellow man".
(2 November 2012, 16:14)Paul Wrote: [ -> ]I was reading the free downloadable LDS Manual and came across this in one of the sections.

People who were prepared were frequently mobbed/threatened by those who weren’t. This was reported in at least seven incidents, five in Mississippi, two in Louisiana (I suspect that the relative lack of Louisiana incidents was because most of those with any sense got out of Dodge before the storm hit).

In each case, the person/family concerned had made preparations for disaster, with supplies, shelter, etc. in good order and ready to go. Several had generators ready and waiting.

However, their neighbors who had not prepared all came running after the disaster, wanting food, water and shelter from them.
When the prepared families refused, on the grounds that they had very little, and that only enough for themselves, there were many incidents of aggression, attempted assault, and theft of their supplies.

Some had to use weapons to deter attack, and in some cases, shots were fired. I understand that in two incidents, attackers/would-be thieves were shot.

It’s also reported that in all of these cases, the prepared families now face threats of retribution from their neighbors, who regarded their refusal to share as an act of selfishness and/or aggression, and are now threatening retaliation.

It’s reportedly so bad that most of the prepared families are considering moving to other neighborhoods so as to start afresh, with different neighbors.

I know this is ancient news (dated January 1st, 2011) but it's just a reminder to us all about just how tenuous friendship is especially those who might be thinking of "being nice to your fellow man".
this is EXACTLY why none of my neighbours knows i have stores and is why they will never know!!
I intend to get a couple of sacks of corn or similar to give away of ever find myself in that sort of situation.

I ll keep most of my preps hidden with only some low value food stuff on show that I don't mind loosing
I think, PJ, that's even risking too much!

Nobody except my wife knows what we have. She's sworn to secrecy and I know she won't tell anyone.

Even her mother, who lives a few miles away, doesn't know...and she probably won't find out.

There are people I would certainly open my doors to, but there are many others I wouldn't!
(2 November 2012, 16:55)PrepperJohn Wrote: [ -> ]I intend to get a couple of sacks of corn or similar to give away of ever find myself in that sort of situation.

I ll keep most of my preps hidden with only some low value food stuff on show that I don't mind loosing

Doing that only shows you are a soft touch PJ.
Add to that food stuff on show and it suggests you have a surplus.

Seeing that, their next question will be, "what else have you got"?

Best claim ignorance and hunger and scrounge like the rest of us will.
One of the sheeple.

Besides, the longer you can spin out your supplies the better.
I think I read in Ragnar Bensons urban survival, that although generators are great at what they do, they also advertise your preparedness level, and the fact your house may be lit up when everybody else's is dark is a beacon to all around...
for me the disadvantages far outweigh the positive of using one post shtf...
I'm making a gas bottle wood burning stove soon, that'll do me for cooking and heating with a suitable hole punched through the kitchen wall...
Maybe with blackout curtains and a low power 12 volt system for essential lighting.
Yeah noone round me knows (well one knows my kitchen cuboards are full, but she doesn't know why or that there is more) Infact i think I only have one friend who knows and they live 50 miles away and prep themselves. My mum doesn't even know.