Survival UK Forums

Full Version: American Firearm Standardising
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, this is a US based topic, but one I think is fun to play around with.

The US talks LOADS about standardising ammo. Read on, as it still applies to us UK preppers, so some extent.

I'm going to put a new twist on this one.

Personally, I think standardising is a little weird, but supposedly makes sense. For stocking up ammo, yes, it's spot on! However, if I've got a 9mm gun and a .45 cal, I'll be able to use both kinds of ammo, if I were to come across some. However, if I have only a 9mm, but come across a car that has .45cal, then I'd be screwed! So, wouldn't it make more sense to have a variation of calibers, incase you came across certain types of ammo (looted store, police car, dead body, or something like that).

The most common type of ammo, means more people will have a use for it and be hoarding it. Wouldn't it make sense to go for something people are much less likely to want? That way, when bartering, it'll be much more readily available.

But anyway, how does this apply to us over in the UK?

Simple really. Since most of us are looking at archery as our primary projectile weapon, then doesn't it make sense to buy a load of sizes of arrows/bolt, to practice with and learn the limits of? If you come across a 'game' store that has arrows in, but they're the wrong size (an inch too short or too long) you'll take them, of course, but you won't know how they'll react when fired!

Better to get some extra short or long stuff, then deal with how they behave before your life may depend on it (hunting deer, etc).

Having said that. It's much better to standardise your arrows with those in your team. Not everyone has the same length arms/arrow needs. However, either standardise everything, or get used to using different sizes, so that whatever you are presented with via mis/fortune, you are capable of using it properly.
There are a few standard calibres out there. Get the basic ones,12G, 410, 22LR, 9mm, .223 and .243 and you have the majority of UK weapons so if you ever do come across weapons the chances are it is one of them. In certain areas there may be some changes at the higher end. .17 rather than .223 or .303 rather than .243.
I've standardized!

Arrows. 30 x 30" cheap alloys (bulk buy) with screw in tips.
Too long for the wife (and me) but who cares, they all fly the same as we share the bow.
Just means she has to aim a bit higher.

For the airgun 7000 0.22 (5.6mm) Chinese generic dome heads. £30
No flashy tins, arrived in a jiffy bag in cardboard boxes.
Any good? Rabbits and pigeons don't like them.

For the slingshots I got 4 ton of 1/2" ballast on the drive!
Accuracy?
Whoever you are, it takes a brave man to stand in front of my slingshot wacking out a 1/2 " flint every 10 seconds at 250-350 fps.

(5 November 2012, 13:42)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]There are a few standard calibres out there. Get the basic ones,12G, 410, 22LR, 9mm, .223 and .243 and you have the majority of UK weapons so if you ever do come across weapons the chances are it is one of them. In certain areas there may be some changes at the higher end. .17 rather than .223 or .303 rather than .243.

That's a lot of calibers SD.
I'll wait to see what's lying round after the big die off.