Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Complications regarding Radio Comms
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm sorry to say but this is getting to me big time.

Recently there has been a discussion on possible RT validation protocols, duplex operation, exclusive rights / channeling, etc.

My question is quite simple, Why?

Why have encryption, CTCSS, DCS, or exclusive duplex operation AT ALL?

What's the objective here?
Is it just to limit sheeple from contacting you to offer or ask for assistance?

What if those sheeple you're trying to keep out were highly experienced preppers with all the tools and stores you need but can't contact you because you're running some sort of exclusive encryption / validation or what ever you're calling it?

You'd all look pretty stupid dying because you wanted to "be alone" and had locked out the one group or person who could have helped you.

Or is it that you all think TPTB or marauders are going to listen into your conversations, DF you, and send a crack commando team out to nick your supplies?

Come on, realistically.
Do you seriously think that TPTB and common criminals are going to be out there en-mass fully RT capable all with DF capabilities, just raring to waste time finding you to attack you for half a dozen cans of baked beans?

All comms should be carried out in the simplest of formats.
No coding, no encryption, simplex i.e. one channel in and out.

You've got something to say which is confidential?
Work out a simple number code.
Or is that too complicated?

Locking people out by code or duplex and thinking that your conversations are safe is a JOKE!

Working duplex makes you safe?
One radio, one scanner and I can hear both sides of the conversations.

CTCSS coded? So what.
That only opens a squelch circuit. Easily defeated.

Encrypted, you think it's still safe?
My cheap little scanner has a basic de-scrambler built it and that only cost £32.

The only thing you are doing is limiting your options to get help.
I think Paul is expressing my original concern but in rather stronger terms,IE everything should be simplified, looked at again, then simplified some more.
I just want a radio, and be told how to search channels/frequencies, and have presets for contacting those on this forum in radio range.

That's all I want.
I trust LS to choose the right radio, to be able to teach me how to use it, and how to do everything I need to do.
Paul

If you read the thread and view the doc that LS has attached you'll see that that is exactly what is being proposed. There are very few channels with CTCSS etc, the few that have are to accomodate certain makes of PMR466 handsets that require them. Re duplex, certain marine channels currently operate on Duplex, these are being replaced by Simplex which is the standard that has been adopted for simplicity (but with the option to switch it back to duplex easily if you find yourself communicating with a station still configured for Duplex).

LS has proposed simple common channels/frequencies where possible and has put this out for discussion prior to generating an image that anyone with a compatible radio can simply download into their radio, so we all start from the same base. There are still plenty of channels left free for configuring to local requirements.
Hi Paul,

I understand your concerns and assure you that there is no clandestine movement to create a two tier national network

The complexity on the programming is to acommodate PMR without CTCSS, CTCSS with permanently engaged CTCSS, the newly released LPD frequencies, Marine band VHF frequencies ( inparticular Ch16 the marine distress channel) to assist in monitiring of Ham 2m and 0.7m bands, and to make provision for ultimate use of UHF and VHF spectrum.

Complex? Yes it is. The intenton is to manage the complexity so that a maximum number of frequency independent devices can interact. That's the work I've been doing.

I have a tight schedule this evening, so please excuse my bowing out from the forum now. i'll pick up tomorrow at some point.

He is off to give some of his slaves a good flogging Smile
Confused

I'll say it once again.
NO HOLY GRAIL in radio communications.

If you want or need a simple , easy to use system that is recognised worldwide then stick with 27Mhz CB.

My thoughts are my own regarding this - suffice to say I intend getting another , modern CB , BUT , I don't intend using it as a 'communications' device when TSHTF, but it will be useful to have that capability in reserve.
It will be used as a scanner - merely to eavesdrop.

My current PMR setup ticks ALL of my comms needs boxes.

To be totally honest , it is NOT my intention to broadcast any further than I could slowly walk in 2 hours , and DEFINITELY not to anyone that I don't know.
The last thing I want to do - is make people aware of my existence and where I roughly am , by transmitting on a radio system that absolutely anyone can pick up and use.

By using vhf/uhf dual band radios and the commonly perceived techno malarkey that is involved, I am hoping to narrow the odds down of anyone that I don't know - actually hearing my transmissions.

You may want to contact others outside your nearest and dearest - I don't.
You may not see the need to have the capability to contact those radio users who might have access to national and international comms -I do.

If I need CB to setup a meet, or a barter, then I will also have that capability when required.

If there was such a thing as a radio unit that covered all CB , UHF , VHF frequencies , and was also available in a portable format - then believe me - I would have 2 of each , but , as far as I know - no such thing exists. Even if it did - you can bet yer arse it would not be as cheap as a £30 dual band HT or a £45 compact mobile CB unit.

If your overall strategy is to meet and greet with as many survivors as you can - then CB will be your best friend.
If your strategy is to lie low and actively monitor your surroundings with as low a probability of being discovered as possible ,then I believe that a vhf/uhf system such as LS is suggesting may be better for you.

Each to their own.
Hi Ned

I pretty much agree with most of that. There is no one size fits all. I'll be monitoring CB and VHF/UHF - without giving away my location. I'll have the capability to respond should I need to. I hope to eventually add a HF/CW transceiver for long distance/international comms, again to monitor for intel but also to communicate if necessary.

I want to cover as many bases as possible, as cheaply as possible. You can rarely have too many options as long as you use sensibly and dont divulge too much info or your location (I know you could be traced by triangulation but moving locations when you transmit will help with that - hence need kit to be as portable as possible).

I seem to remember that it was a radio ham with a HF radio that broke the news that the Falklands had been invaded and managed to provide good intel to UK forces prior to them taking the islands back
Carrrier pigeons are looking more appealing with every post !!! Smile
If all else fails you could always eat them NR - try doing that with a radio Big Grin
Pages: 1 2