Survival UK Forums

Full Version: 45# flattened PVC horse bow build pt 1of 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there people.
I did post a similar link as a reply somewhere, but dont know if it got lost or whatever.
I saw this and another tutorial on pvc pipe bows and thought it may be useful to know how to make one in case we lose the bows we have or they break etc...
after all pvc pipe is everywhere...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJAaM-Ral...re=related
I wanna have a go at building one of those

What is schedule 40 pipe called in the UK?
(12 November 2012, 13:14)Prepper1 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there people.
I did post a similar link as a reply somewhere, but dont know if it got lost or whatever.
I saw this and another tutorial on pvc pipe bows and thought it may be useful to know how to make one in case we lose the bows we have or they break etc...
after all pvc pipe is everywhere...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJAaM-Ral...re=related

Thanks this could be an interesting project for a later date, at the moment I'm considering adding a few Glassfibre 25 pound cheap recurve bows to my supplies, was thinking about the Barnett Sportflight s they use the same riser that my cheapo compounds use.
Following extracts taken off a website discussing said pipe.
when I get a definative british supplier I'll post on this site!!

Schedule 40 (Sch 40 pvc pipe) pipes are rated on wall thickness. Due to this fact the pressure ratings for the size of pipe will vary. The pressure ratings are as follows:

Pipe Size Pressure Rating
1/2" Sch 40 Fittings 600 psi
3/4" Sch 40 Fittings 480 psi
1" Sch 40 Fittings 450 psi
1 1/4" Sch 40 Fittings 370 psi
1 1/2" Sch 40 Fittings 330 psi
2" Sch 40 Fittings 280 psi
2 1/2" Sch 40 Fittings 300 psi
3" Sch 40 Fittings 260 psi
4" Sch 40 Fittings 220 psi
6" Sch 40 Fittings 180 psi
8" Sch 40 Fittings 160 psi
10" Sch 40 Fittings 140 psi
12" Sch 40 Fittings 130 psi

A plastic pipe used for pressurized water lines would work, don't know the equivalent, but schedule 40 is used in pressurized situations.
Scedule40 PVC pipe has a wall thickness of.054 inches any UK pipe of that thickness or greater should be compatible.
What is Schedule 40 PVC Pipe?

Here's a rough explanation of what schedule 40 is and its measurements as well as a couple other grades of pipe. Schedule 40 works very well for bows, but other thicker varieties may be used. Though keep in mind that thicker schedules won't taper flatten well and will require a bit more length for safety, but you can expect higher poundage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mSt4NPuGxk

Just a little note for European viewers. What you call PVC (wrongly) in America, is called PPR in Europe.

PVC stands for Poly-Vinil-Chloride which is ordinary plastic.

PPR stands for Polypropylene, and this is the elastic material used for clean water pipes.

But in US they call it PVC, and this could be missleading.

Hope this helps.