Survival UK Forums

Full Version: How to Make a Simple Dowel Arrow with Duct Tape Fletching Part 1-3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Have you tried them out?

Would love to know their effectiveness on impact and whether they break up. My experience is that dowel is pretty weak.

Also, would they bow when wet?
No, not yet. All I knoew about fletching is how your supposed to do it and the fact that the feathers have to come off the same wing.
My brother is/was a bowyer and I watched him do various archery related things so I have at least an idea of where to start.
Sort of an apprenticeship if you like.
It has to be a special dowel though, not just any will do, it has to be bendable and straight grained.
Arrow making is a hobby in itself and a definite money maker, if you could make a good selection of arrows with the archers colours etc...
Mind a lot of the time like with home made bread, its not that much cheaper than shop bought but you know your getting quality because you've done it yourself.
(12 November 2012, 21:16)Prepper1 Wrote: [ -> ]It has to be a special dowel though, not just any will do, it has to be bendable and straight grained.
Arrow making is a hobby in itself and a definite money maker, if you could make a good selection of arrows with the archers colours etc...
Mind a lot of the time like with home made bread, its not that much cheaper than shop bought but you know your getting quality because you've done it yourself.

I think it would probably be cheaper to buy a bunch of arrows. You can get fletchings for 6p each, shafts for a few quid, and points/tips are super cheap. Making a nock is free, or you can drill a hold and aroldite a modified golf tee in it for next to nothing. Golf tees are like 2p each, and cutting a slit in one is pretty much free. So, you can make an arrow for around £3ish, or buy one for £4ish. The difference isn't huge, but the quality is probably going to be better on the bought arrow.
I tried dowel and one just blew out on a 30 lb bow.
I then tried using 9mm anodized aluminum tubing from B&Q.
Keeping the flights on was a nightmare until I used (of all things) fiberglass resin.
Field Tips I brought and stuck them in the end with the same resin.
Broad heads needed me to turn a bolt down to fit the tube.

In the end, after making 6 arrows, it's cheaper to just buy a set of alloy arrows and a LARGE packet of spare flights.

I used an article on medieval bows and arrows to make hazel shafts but despite playing with live steam (and burning my self a treat) , it's a nightmare to straighten them.