Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What would be your top pocket items?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hi everyone.

Once again I'm refining ALL my bags and sorting the stuff out. But then it lead me to yet another question I'd love to get some feedback on.

One of the things I am trying to do, is to get a grab pocket/pouch. The basic idea is that BOOM, TSHTF and I have just picked up my BOB/GHB and I've started moving. I'm trying to build a pocket with stuff that I will want to transfer quickly to my pockets; for various reasons, e.g. quicker access, for use while on the move, if I need to ditch my bag for faster movement or escape, etc.

What items would you want to have with you?

My list is pretty basic, as I'm thinking this out as I write this post:

Knife x2
Multi-Tool
Torch
Spare batteries
Space blanket
Water filter straw
Small amount of food (chocolate bar or something like that)
A small fire kit (lighter, bits of rubber, cotton buds, flint)

I'm thinking each bit would be in a separate pocket.

A knife in each front pocket
Multi tool in a front pocket too.
Torch in front pocket without the multi-tool.
Fire kit back pocket with space blanket.
Food and water filter other back pocket.

I'm thinking I should have a small head torch (loving the Petzl E-Lite right now! Am able to run with it and not have an issue with it slipping!) as well as the normal torch, but that would be kept around my wrist, not in a pocket.

This is a list that will evolve as skills develop. But I'd love some concepts, feedback, or ideas please.
I didn't explain the idea very well.

TSHitsTF and you have to get going. You pick up your BOB/GHB and transfer certain bits of kit from that bag to your pockets for easier access etc. I'm trying to build, into my bags, a small area (a side pocket or small top pocket, etc) that I will grab all the stuff from, when I pick up my bag.
Knife, compass, torch, bug out map, fire striker, spare batteries, disposable lighter, foil blanket.
Lock Knife
Tungsten sharpener
LED Tactical flashlight plus 2 sets of batteries
Compass
Watch
Multi Tool
Shades / Specs
Paracord
Vasleline coated cotton wool balls
Bandana
Notebook n Pen
Cellphone
Lightsticks
Mini pry bar
Map of AOO
I never walk the dogs on the hills without certain items, they are probably the same I would grab if I was bugging out on my own,... [which I wouldnt be,... but it will answer the question]

..... multi tool,... fire lighting strikers,... knife, ...and food for one day/night,.. compass/map, phone...these I always have on me,

My dogs have back packs,.. so almost always one of the three will be carrying...

Food, [ for me and three dogs ]... emergency shelter,.... space blanket... rope,..whistle,....... light sticks.

I see no use for anything else
(26 November 2012, 18:51)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]Mini pry bar

I've never understood the mini-prybar thing. How would it be used?
Prying !!!!

Opening lift doors
opening train doors
levering weak padlocks or their fittings
breaking out car ignition switch barrels
acting as and anchor
Its a lever, like a good flat screwdriver but stronger
opening nailed down crate lids
use as a wedge
use as an improvised weapon
How small would the mini pry bar be, NR?

Like this? :

http://www.screwfix.com/p/pry-bar-203mm/...tAodpRoAvA
(26 November 2012, 22:49)Mandlaka Wrote: [ -> ]How small would the mini pry bar be, NR?

Like this? :

http://www.screwfix.com/p/pry-bar-203mm/...tAodpRoAvA

The mini-pry's I've seen are a few inches in length. Can't get much purchase on them, and they look like they'd do more damage to your hand than to a lock/door etc.

That's why I'm asking too.
I have never had to use a mini one so I am very interested. Only always used normal / large ones.
NR has mentioned carrying mini pry bars as part of one's bug out kit but I never thought too much about it - until now.
Locking folder, fire steel, crusader mug.
Pages: 1 2 3 4