Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Naughty Naughty Tescos!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was in Tescos today buying Saurkraut and jars of fermented/pickled veg when I noticed that the Saurkraut in an English labelled jar was priced at £1.99 for a 900g jar...pricey methinks.

I then went to an aisle called the 'World Foods Section' Saurkraut with a Polish label, for the same sized jar it was only 58 pence, infact all the jars cost the same so I got a shit load. The wife then told me that it was the same for a lot of the products in Tescos, the foreign food section sold cheaper goods.....why? I would imagine it is because the big supermarkets are trying to cash in on the money that local Asian and Polish food stores and other smaller stores like Aldi and Lidl are making. As Brits most of us would just see the various different labels written in foreighn languages and walk on. So why not have a look what you can find too, 10 kgs sacks of rice and flour are cheaper as are the big vats of cooking oil.

Tescos are naughty so lets spank them!Wink
I bought a jar of ethnic pickled gerkins...YUK! Always wanted to try Ghee, so gave it a go, stinks like heck but tastes ok in a curry, I noticed the best before dates on these worldly goods were far less than what you get on the USUAL shelves. Bought a big bag of semalina from worldly good, good price for the size and will do me andthe kids through the winter, Smile
Yeah Ghee is a cooking butter so it doesn't taste the best unless in Indian dishes. Semolina...I haven't tired that yet (except at school a long time ago) what do you use it for?
I make Indian sweets/desserts with it, also I cook it with milk, add raisins and boil for 10 mins. add some sugar whilst cooking, deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelish Smile
I remember when I was in the Army the ratoin packs contained an oatmeal biscuite, it was used by most to make porrage,..I hate porrage, but would do my best to get as many or these biscuites as I could,.... I used them to add to stew and the like, because they really bulked up a meal

So with this in mind I got the wife to buy some oatmeal [ in the packet ],...and I used half a tin of stew and a few spoonfulls of oat meal,... and it work just like I remembered,..a hardy tip I think because oatmeal has a two year date on it, its cheap, and saves on food in general,..and is good for you to boot
Prepaday that's great, I like the indian sweets but I have never thought of making my own....semolina is 'Prasād' of course! Yeah I have eaten it at the Sikh Temples, weddings and he wife's family do's. Very nice.Smile
(1 December 2012, 00:13)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]I remember when I was in the Army the ratoin packs contained an oatmeal biscuite, it was used by most to make porrage,..I hate porrage, but would do my best to get as many or these biscuites as I could,.... I used them to add to stew and the like, because they really bulked up a meal

So with this in mind I got the wife to buy some oatmeal [ in the packet ],...and I used half a tin of stew and a few spoonfulls of oat meal,... and it work just like I remembered,..a hardy tip I think because oatmeal has a two year date on it, its cheap, and saves on food in general,..and is good for you to boot

Hi Highlander,
I eat a lot of porridge and oatmeal based foods, but putting it in savoury dishes I haven't tried, I shall have to give it a go. I did used to put the whole contents of the rat pack into one container mix it up and it the lot though, so I'm sure that some oat meal got in there along with the curry and apricot crumble.Big Grin
I reckon I might give this a try Morrocan Semolina Bread.

http://moroccanfood.about.com/od/breadan..._bread.htm
I'm a Tesco security guard. No stealing please.
Oh I wouldn't do that mate, I hate crimminals with a passion, that's why I work in a prison.Wink But if a company like Tescos, Sainburys etc want to have different prices on similar types of goods, then I will be very happy to use that to get a cheaper deal.

The big supermarkets parachute in and wipe out the smaller shop owners in the area and then they start taking away the trade of the bigger shops in the area.....our local Tescos even sells firewood because a canal runs at the back of it so they have firewood for the boaters to burn on their Squirrel Stoves!

Supermarkets are very handy, but as any lorry driver will tell you, when they approach any city in the UK they all look the same; A big Supermarket, TK Max, Nandos, Cinema Complex, Argos......If it wasn't for the signs telling you what city you are entering you would'nt know, just a uniform bunch of shops where countryside or heavy industry used to be. Cloned shopping centres from Exeter to Inverness the face of modern Britain.Shy