Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Heat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to heat the greenhouse not sauna temp just up a bit any idea of a cheap way got car batteries and a leisure bat on the way got inverters
But. simple stupid would be best lol
Any ideas ????

Bd
Victorians used to do it by putting a compost heap right up against part of the greenhouse, the heat from the well managed compost heap kept the frost at bay enough for many victorians to grow graps and oranges, Decaying crap generates a lot of heat.
(30 November 2012, 23:31)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]Victorians used to do it by putting a compost heap right up against part of the greenhouse, the heat from the well managed compost heap kept the frost at bay enough for many victorians to grow graps and oranges, Decaying crap generates a lot of heat.

if the green house is big enough put the compost inside, but remember to keep it wet
As above - manure. In my greenhouse, I grow in beds rather than pots and whatnot, so need to dig out the beds once a year and refill. Do this around this time of year and fill the beds with stable manure - this rotting creates a decent amount of heat.

Was planning on cleaning out the greenhouse this weekend, made a sulpher candle this week to help the job.
Depends how hot you want it. Wrapping in bubble wrap works. Fllece is also in common use. A oil lamp inside will help.

If you need it warmer then you just have to go heating.
Here's a home made heater for a greenhouse

http://www.downthelane.net/forum/viewtop...44&t=21466
We're looking for a house and have found one we quite like.

The wife is allowing me to get a polytunnel for half the garden.

To keep it warm, I'm going to build a thermal mass rocket heater bench. But it might be a big job for a green house.

Best bet, insulate it to stop losing the heat generated, and the manure/compost idea (but beware of flies and other small pests that might arrive). Really like T-Odd's cheap heater. I think that came up in another thread. It's basically a load of layers of metal disk, and different sized clay plant pots. It works on the same principles that my rocket heater will be.

It all depends on the size of your greenhouse I guess.

Produce heat inside, stop it leaving, and stop the cold coming in. Insulate, and generate.
Thing is in the UK, little point of lots of heat in the winter - you just want enough to stop things from freezing - as we do not really get the light for a lot of active plant growth. You can make it as warm as you like and stuff still wont grow.

The reason for heat is to stop stuff like pak choi, mustard and other winter leaves dying off and to give you a bit of heat early on in the season to help with small tomato plants - you do not need a lot.
Rather than warming a greenhouse, could you not aim to grow plants that thrive in cold conditions? Things like winter cabbages, sprouts etc..