Survival UK Forums

Full Version: steel wool and 9volt battery fire starting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Good idea not to store your battery and steel wool together then Huh but I knew that anyway Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Great idea especially as an alkaline battery is reliable and it has a shelf life of about 7 to 10 years but, the steel wool will corrode unless kept dry; a press seal bag and one of those little desiccant bags will do the job.

MA
I love it....good post P1 very very handy
Fine grade steel wool.and a ferro rod will give you fire too
I mentioned this a couple of days ago in a thread,..I have used it often, works every time which he didnt, he was too wastefull, take half that amount of wool and wrap it in your finest tinder, then touch the battery to it and blow, your tinder bursts into flames
sorry,... works every time if you do it right, which he didnt
I did try it a few years ago, and found it amazing that steels flammable even like that... definitely something else for the firestarting pouch!!
The advantage to this method, is that you have a far better chance of starting a fire with material thats not the driest,... unlike haveing to deal with sparks,... and in the Highlands where everything is wet, thats always going to be an advantage..Smile