Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Morning Charity Hike......Beginner Mistakes ReLearned!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello Everyone

This will be a VERY helpful thread for many old-time hikers, walkers, and the alike, and an even more helpful post for the newer ones.

Today I enjoyed the first (and possibly last) section of the 630mile SouthWest Coast Path walk, for the MND Charity (my wife's father died of MND when she was 13, so this was my way to do something for him over Christmas). I'll explain why it may have been the last part later.

Yesterday was Christmas day! A wonderful day, and full of prepping/survival fun at the S13 household. I'll post about that in the 'What have you done towards your preps' part. But all in all, had an awesome Christmas and got home and into bed at 10pm (yes it's early....but you'll see why). At home, alarm set to wake up on Boxing Day (today) at 2am!!! Yes, that's right, it's an A before that M, not a P! TWO A M!!! One more time for those as dumb as me....2AM. Four hours sleep, about as much as a new mother with a screaming child.

I wake up at 1:58am, thinking I had overslept. On schedule, 2 minutes later, the alarm goes off, and it's time to start packing the car and getting dressed for a 25mile hike around the coastal path. I pick up my new gear as well as my worn in newish boots. Then it's into the car and off to Cape Cornwall.

The getting dressed process is where my first lesson to you all. If you can't notice the mistakes, I'll let you read about them later. Change boxers, look for walking socks (wanted to wear 2 pairs) and came a cropper! Couldn't find any of them for the life of me! Ended up wearing a normal pair of sports socks and a pair of skiing socks (super warm) over the top. Got my new cargo trousers, then a tshirt, thermal long sleeve over that, a lovely hoodie, and packed my waterproof jacket and the Swedish Parker. Grabbed my new gaiters (old ones were screwed so 'testing-pair' came in handy). Picked up BOB, a change of clothes, and into the car we all went.

The drive was from 3am to 6:15am, Taunton to Cape Cornwall. The drive was really cool. I saw a barn owl just before I got to the A30 in Exeter (just by the weird bridges, for anyone from this neck of the woods), and later I saw a badger by the side of the road, and even later still, I saw a fox. So already it's a good start to the day. Rain started lashing it down very early on, as soon as I got past Exeter, which made me smile. Get all the bad weather out of the way before the walk starts, I thought.

I made it to the National Trust carpark (Thank you all NT sites! I used an NT carpark when I slept over on a cliff earlier this year, so I really appreciate all they do) with plenty of time. The walk was to start at 6:30am. Head torch at the ready, hand torch ready too, spare batteries for both in pocket.....just in case (well, I am a prepper.....what did you expect?). Met up with David (the guy doing the walk for MND, both his parents died from it) and got ready to set off. Each day he is trying to complete 25 miles and today was day 16 for him.

The walk was brilliant, watching the sun slowly rise, hearing the roaring of the waves crashing against the rocky coastline, not a single drop of rain or even ocean spray! We were set for an awesome day! As we crept over our 4th hill, the sky turned from a dark looming purple, to a soothing soft blue. Damn, I'd chosen a great day to walk with him! Seriously, I have the best timing.

As the sky illuminated with the rise of the sun, we could see an ocean mist in the distance. It was an amazing site. We both stood and looked on in awe. But there was no time to rest. We had another 23 miles to complete. Down the other side of the hill we go. Torches and head lamps off, we started an easy decent. At the bottom of the hill we came across a road path, and David realised he'd forgotten his walking poles. Scythe13 to the rescue! Grab a straight tree, out with the Gaffa-Tape and multi-tool. Next thing you know, Walking poles! Fully equipped we set off down a smoothly tarmaced road. David was telling me all about the streams he had to cross and about how many were bridges were submerged by the deluge we've had recently. This was looking like a good bit of fun!

Mile 4 saw a boulder scramble up and down, and suddenly on a large downward jump (David went the easy way, so I opted to go for a slightly higher jump) my left knee decided it wasn't going to play along and do what it's meant to. POP! The knee I smacked on top of a Tor (thanks for the spelling correction BP) started acting up. It was an electric shock type pain from mid thigh to mid shin, and an ongoing throbbing. Felt like my knee was swollen instantly. But it's only a bit of pain. As I was always told, pain is temporary, glory is eternal! Suck it up Scythe13, don't be a wuss!

Knee ignored and feeling better after 'walking it off' we continue. After mile 6....IT hit us! When I say IT, I mean, horizontal rain that felt more like a swarm of wasps lashing at the side of our faces and ripping at any bare skin. To be fair, I don't know whether it was hail, sleet, or whether it really was thousands of invisible stinging insects interlinked with soft rain. But all I can be certain of was.....it fricking hurt like hell! I pulled my hat down more, hood up, waterproof jacket on with hood up, head down, and just kept following the trail. I could feel my hoodie taking hits and slowly absorbing little bits of rain. This is never a problem as long as you keep moving. Your body warms up the water and it acts like a wetsuit. The only time it sucks, when it's ultra windy, or when you're stood around doing nothing.

After nearly 30 minutes of torrential lacerating horizontal rain, we had a moment to reflect on the view again. Stunning, with more ocean mist.....oh wait, that haze in the distance might not be ocean mist. It's more than likely.....more rain!!!

By 10am, rain was the least of our worries! We were more concerned with the 50mph winds forecast in the morning, that had come to say hi. At 15 stone, I'm not light. This wind was basically throwing me and David around, one minute trying to push us off the cliff edge, the next minute it's throwing us onto the rocks away from the sea! Damn this wind hated us for a long time! Up one hill, it was unleashing it's full force against us towards the sea as if trying to kill us, on the way down, it was pushing us away from the sea, as if trying to push us off course (better than being killed I guess). It was relentless....even when the rain decided to give an encore! 50mph wind, hornet stinging rain.....maybe I didn't have as good timing as I'd expected!

I'm so glad I had my waterproof jacket on, it would.......oh wait......
Hood had blown down on the waterproof and the hoodie had absorbed all the water it could hold. At least my waterproof trouser......Son of a @£$%^ I knew my legs felt odd. I was so distracted by the pain of my left leg that I completely forgot about my waterproof trousers. Turns out I left them at home. I feel so foolish! It's a noob mistake to leave waterproofs at home!!!

Lands End.....got the photo at the "First and Last House" in England. It had a sign in the window "We will be open again in time for Easter 2013". 5 minutes before we arrived at Lands End all the harsh weather stopped, so David had a great photo stood at the house with the sign. Guess what...we had a 4 minute rest, which was just enough to get the heat out of the wet hoodie! DAMN, that got very cold very quickly!!!

[At this point in the post, I have a very beautiful wife next to me, and as much as I'd love to continue this, I will have to....later. Right now I'm going to be spending time with my lovely wife. I'll update and finish this post later. Thanks for reading up to here]

Okay, 2 days later....continuing.

We rejoin out hero....haha. Anyway, Lands End, cold through, wet to the bone. Big smile on my face (somehow).

The walk continued and sure enough, as some of you expected, a warm spot that had occurred on my heel (not yet mentioned, as it was only a warm spot) was nicely developing into a blister, on my right foot. Blisters have never been a problem in the past. Just suck it up and get on with it. Used to wear shoes in by walking until the back of my ankle bled. Not so much this time. For the first time in my life, I was feeling the force of a pair of boots and a blister! Bad socks, bad pain, good lesson!!!

As the walk progressed, I noticed David had some pretty good gaiters on. I remember when my gaiters had a lace hook. I broke it and got into the habit of not attaching a lace hook. Okay, guess who felt stupid sticking to old habits that are of no relevance?!?! Damn right. Seriously, this walk ended up being self-embarassing!

I really should update this again some time, but right now....it's that wife thing again. I'll post this up and finish the whole thing off later.

Enjoy the read.
Updating....

I'm just going to summarise the lessons, because I'm in a lazy mood.

1. Wear in your boots better!!!
This is hugely important, especially if you plan on travelling for a while on food. The last thing you want is to cache a pair of new boots!!!
2. Wear proper hiking socks if you're travelling a reasonable distance.
Again, you don't want to end up with blisters when you need to run away from something/someone!!!
3. Any New Gear, don't assume it's the same as the old stuff! Try and test before you NEED to use the item for real.
This is HUGE with caching again, and with any GHB/GHK (Get Home Kit). Don't assume your new boots will be the same as the older ones that you replaced. Don't assume your new jacket is as waterproof/fitting/warm/comfy as the old one, etc.
4. Test your body more often, but at an increased pace, or decreased pace, on different terrains!
This stunned me! I know the distance is easily doable, 25 miles. The thing that caught me out was the hills and the change of pace required. Yes I hurt my knee, but that's not a problem. The problem really came when I was slowing down and going down hill. On a run, that's to be expected! Not a problem. But when you slow down your pace, stuff suddenly changes! Don't believe me, bench press a weight as normal speed. It's normal, right? Now try the same weight, at less than half speed!!! Damn that feels different, right? Can you feel it more on your elbows?
5. Test yourself with the same gear you hope to travel in.
In a SHTF situation, I planned to travel in a mix of mil-boots and vibrams. Totally opposite sides of the spectrum!!! I'm so used to Vibrams, that I need to spend more time in boots to get used to them properly.

Last but not least, remember to have a plan B. I didn't plan on getting an injury above what my basic FAK could sort out.

Just because something seems small and of little effort, don't take it for granted.

I know loads of you are thinking "How stupid, I'd never make those mistakes", well guess what, I had the same view point as well. When you get lazy and start thinking "I'm ready for a small challenge." Don't forget to plan properly for it. A small challenge is more likely to catch you out, as a small challenge is likely to be the one you don't plan for properly.
Reference keeping your pace, as an ex-Infantryman we were not allowed to slow on the hills,.. the key to walking long distances is rythum,.. [ its why the Americans sing ],... so set yourself up and keep the rythmic sound of your feet constant.

When you come to the hills, keep that same rythum, but if its a hard hill reduce the size of your steps instead,... but always keep the rythum

A couple of tips,.. you can harden your feet by bathing them in vinigar from time to time,... you can soften new boots by peeing in them,... wash both feet and boots after....lol

If the walking/marching is starting to get hard, dont look around you, stare at the persons feet in front of you and put your foot down with his, this is why a body of soldiers keeps rotateing the front men to the rear, so its not the front men that always suffer with the pace,....if its just you, stare at your own feet, and sing in time to your feet hitting the ground

Going downhill is often more of a challange, you are more likely to get blisters from going downhill than anything else because your feet tend to slide forward, so as Scythe has mentioned your socks are as important as your boots
The singing makes sense! Pretty clever.

Thankfully, I like to maintain pace at the top of a hill. While most people will stop and catch their breath, while pretending to just be checking out the view, I prefer the challenge of catching my breath back on the flat or way down. It's shockingly easy to maintain pace and get your breath back at the same time. Most people underestimate their own ability to do that.
It is easier to catch your breath while still moving because once you stop after hard work, its not just your leg muscles that start to lock, ...its your body,.. you often see people bent over after a hard slog who are finding it very hard to breath, yet they have just made it to the top,...if they did as you say, and kept going, once you start to get your breath back, you can then start breathing through the nose, deep breaths,... and breath out through your mouth, thats the best way of getting air deep into the lungs.

Remember its not just your lungs that need oxygen, your legs hurt because your blood need oxygen too

Strangly enough, you can also make life a little easier if you jog short distances,...try it sometime, you will find that it relieves some of the pressure from the backs of your legs,....its another reason why the Army `Road walk and Run`,..words we hated, but its the best way.... but keep the rythum
(1 January 2013, 20:06)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]Strangly enough, you can also make life a little easier if you jog short distances,...try it sometime, you will find that it relieves some of the pressure from the backs of your legs,....its another reason why the Army `Road walk and Run`,..words we hated, but its the best way.... but keep the rythum

It's funny you should say that. I think I would have been better had I ran the distance instead of walking it. My walking is clearly limited, while I can (and often do) run 2-3 times further.
updated piece from todays "western morning news): http://mannafromdevon.com/mannablog see: SWCP day 11-go east young man.
(1 January 2013, 12:27)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]Reference keeping your pace, as an ex-Infantryman we were not allowed to slow on the hills,.. the key to walking long distances is rythum,.. [ its why the Americans sing ],... so set yourself up and keep the rythmic sound of your feet constant.

When you come to the hills, keep that same rythum, but if its a hard hill reduce the size of your steps instead,... but always keep the rythum

Couldn't agree more! Maintain the pace, step short going up and down...

If the walking/marching is starting to get hard, dont look around you, stare at the persons feet in front of you and put your foot down with his, this is why a body of soldiers keeps rotateing the front men to the rear, so its not the front men that always suffer with the pace,....if its just you, stare at your own feet, and sing in time to your feet hitting the ground

Done this a few times!Big Grin It comes to mind though, that post event, maintaining situational awareness would be vital...

Experimenting with the including quotes thing - didn't work out too well, did it?
Post event I wouldn't want to be moving that fast,.. in military circles,.. you move fast and noisy, slow and quite,.. move too fast in a dangerous situation and you risk all,....slower and warily would be the way to travel
(28 April 2013, 20:50)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]Post event I wouldn't want to be moving that fast,.. in military circles,.. you move fast and noisy, slow and quite,.. move too fast in a dangerous situation and you risk all,....slower and warily would be the way to travel

I know I kinda mixed it up in the re-quoting mess but where I mentioned maintaining a pace, I wasn't advocating speed but a rhythm the body will adapt to.

I would say though, that there are likely to be times where either speed or stealth will be appropriate, wouldn't you? That's why I referred to situational awareness.

Lesson for the newbie: Read, re-read and re-read again before you post anything. It seems it may never actually be saying what you meant it to and thought that it did. It seems to be only after I hit the post button, that I notice that it doesn't!Blush
Pages: 1 2