Survival UK Forums

Full Version: the best animals for self sufficiency
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
The choices of chickens, pigs and goats seem to be among the most popular. It is the way I'm looking with chickens coming first.
the easiest to start with seem to be chickens and rabbits and they dont take up much room either.
And you dont have to get defra involved for chickens
Musgrove ducks are a good alternative to chickens, as they are very quiet, making only a hissing noise that doesn't alert the surrounding countryside. Survivalblog featured an article on them a while ago.
(30 December 2012, 18:18)Metroyeti Wrote: [ -> ]And you dont have to get defra involved for chickens

You can keep up to 50 chickens before you have to apply for a smallholding number.
It so depends on what area of ground you have available,... a small place then the likes of chickens or rabbits,... a larger area available, then a cow [ or two ] is a good option.

We have said No to pigs,...and I tend to agree, yet it was always an animal that they kept in Medieval times,... do we need Defra involvement for just one pig or cow?...I know that the movement of animals has to be recorded no matter what number is kept
Anything for me that breeds like wildfire and is cheap and easy to keep so for me it would be chickens rabbits and prob a goat or two for the milk
(31 December 2012, 00:23)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]It so depends on what area of ground you have available,... a small place then the likes of chickens or rabbits,... a larger area available, then a cow [ or two ] is a good option.

We have said No to pigs,...and I tend to agree, yet it was always an animal that they kept in Medieval times,... do we need Defra involvement for just one pig or cow?...I know that the movement of animals has to be recorded no matter what number is kept

Yes you will need to inform Defra even if you want any type of livestock. Even if they are going to be pets. Its a simple process get in touch with Defra and explain what you will be getting and they will issue a County Parish Holding (CPH) number for the land.
See Defra site for more details.
http://www.defra.gov.uk/food-farm/animals/movements/ dosent seem to mention chickens or poultry or rabbits??
Pages: 1 2 3 4