Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Deer numbers changing woodlands
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thats an interesting piece.

Although it seems that Roe deer have greatly expanded their territory, I cant understand how it would effect bird populations. Red Deer in Scotland are in all areas of Scotland yet we have bird life here that are not only native to Scotland, but we have bird types moving north because of habitat loss in England

The artical seems to be blaming Roe deer for the lack of low growing scrub and so the lack of birds,...and although I can well understand the lack of the scrub,.. I cant yet understand how that would efect birds,.... how many ground nesting birds nest in woodlands, not many,... does the lack of low scrub decrease the amount of food birds eat,... possible, but I wouldnt think that it would be that big a problem

.....and, I am guessing that if this survey had compared itself to the numbers of Roe deer in this country, to the numbers that were around a 100 or 200 years ago, they would find that rather than the deer simply becomeing more numerous they are in fact coming back to the numbers that are more natural to the UK as a whole
We have large numbers of Roe Deer round holderness, and I cant say I have noticed any detrimental effect to the wild bird populations here. To be honest we have a lot of scrub land and woods so the deer have a wide variety of food available, and so we don't see too much tree damage caused by them. Lovely animals. And when you spot a herd through the early morning mist I thank the Lord I was born EnglishBig Grin
It is nice to see them running about.