Survival UK Forums

Full Version: 50 year old bomb shelter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
nice find BP

(3 January 2013, 11:45)Barneyboy Wrote: [ -> ]nice find BP

do you think the tins would be good to eat ,some are in a piss poor state
It is the inside of the tin that counts, not the outside.Tins are lined, so as long as the lining has not deteriorated or been pentrated, it would be fine. If a breech has occurred, you should be able to tell by staining to the food to some extent.

If you are starving and have nothing else, no reason not to eat them.

It does however show the importance of proper storage rather than ramming things in a drawer where they can be exposed to airborne dirt that will trap moisture against the can.

do you think the tins would be good to eat ,some are in a piss poor state

as long as their not blown or rusted right through i'm sure MOST of them are alright, would have to do the taste test, eat a little and see if there were any reactions!
Makes you wonder how many forgoten shelters are out there, we found a few of the old metal types in woods in edinburgh, left to rust but well hidden with brambles.
(3 January 2013, 12:20)Metroyeti Wrote: [ -> ]Makes you wonder how many forgoten shelters are out there, we found a few of the old metal types in woods in edinburgh, left to rust but well hidden with brambles.

i wish i could find one around here, but i assume most would have been in an urban area and i am rural.
The council handed them out, so I guess it depends if your area was at risk during ww2, would imagine most have been buried and forgoten about, some alotments up here have them.
(3 January 2013, 12:25)Metroyeti Wrote: [ -> ]The council handed them out, so I guess it depends if your area was at risk during ww2, would imagine most have been buried and forgoten about, some alotments up here have them.
cant see my immediate are being at risk then, its rural and mostly farms, would have been ALL farms in WW2!
Theres a few old cold war bunkers near me, they are however bricked up and frequented by the occasional rambler etc.. so refurb is possibly out of the question...maybe...bit of barbed wire and a m.o.d. property sign and you never know!!

Wonder why the sudden interest now by them in that shelter???

looks like they've ignored it for years and years...
could it be the looming civil war???
(3 January 2013, 12:37)Prepper1 Wrote: [ -> ]Theres a few old cold war bunkers near me, they are however bricked up and frequented by the occasional rambler etc.. so refurb is possibly out of the question...maybe...bit of barbed wire and a m.o.d. property sign and you never know!!

Wonder why the sudden interest now by them in that shelter???

looks like they've ignored it for years and years...
could it be the looming civil war???

wait until they try and take the AR15 from the south states ,that should be fun, NOT!!!
Pages: 1 2