Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Why I Prepare
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Reproduced from a link B.P. provided, I havent seen it on here and its good reading so Thar she blows.....

I think a great way to start off the New Year is to go back to square one and define why it is, we do what we do. You see Prepper’s or survivalist’s have never been treated kindly by the media, but there has been some new negativity since it was discovered that the mother of the Sandy Hook shooter was a prepper and owned guns. I think it is important to have an easily understandable, well thought out answer if someone were to ask us why we prepare. You might agree with some of the reasons I list. If so, great! Either way, please take some time to define why you prepare and to explain that you’re not a nut-job. If you want to share with the community, please post your answers in the comments section. If you don’t want to share, that’s fine too. Please, at least be thinking of how you might answer if someone asks you.

I prepare because I have eyes to see and ears to hear. I am awake and aware that there are some very real dangers in the world, things that happen every day. Most of these things are small in nature; ice storms, blackouts, blizzards, etc. We also are facing a failing infrastructure, a very fragile electric grid, just-in-time-delivery to grocery stores, as well as countries and terrorist groups who have vowed to attack America and our interests.

I prepare because it is a part of who I am. No matter how the media spins it, I am not a “crazed doomsday survivalist”. I am a pragmatic realist who, to the best of my ability, wants to mitigate the things that can have a negative impact on my life.

I do not prepare out of fear. I prepare so I do not have to be afraid. I am prepared, and therefore, I am not afraid that my family won’t have clean drinking water, food to eat, a warm place to sleep or safety from the things that go bump in the night.

I prepare because I love freedom, and being evacuated to a stadium is not my idea of freedom. If I lost everything and this was my only option, I would take it. Anything short of that and we’ll take care of ourselves, thank you.

I prepare because I think doing so makes me a good citizen. If there is ever a disaster in my area, I will not be a drain on precious resources.

I prepare because, in our hi-tech modern world, we have forgotten how hard a low tech life can be. Just because we have on-demand everything now, doesn’t mean we always will.

I prepare because I have never expected others to do for me. This isn’t my pride, if a hand is offered and I need it, I will accept, but I will never be in expectation of that hand being out.

I prepare because I have health insurance, dental insurance, car insurance, home owners insurance, life insurance and vision insurance, just in case something bad happens. I see preparing for the five basic human needs as a type of insurance.

Even in the bible Proverbs 27:12 says the prudent thing to do is take precaution when we see a danger.

http://preparedchristian.net/why-i-prepa...OV4LJG0Mgp

http://www.prepperwebsite.com/
I cant say that I have told people that I am a prepper, not because I fear ridicule, but simply because the subject has never arisen, or/and I havent found anyone who I think will think along the same lines as me.

...but when that time comes, I will first explain that I hate the phrase `Domesday Prepper`, that is not what I am,.. I am an `Emergency Prepper`, and I like to think that I am preparing us here for anything that might come our way.

In the first instance, I store for a time when I might not be able to shop, the reasons are many,.. floods, snow, riots in a city,..any number of reason why I think it is a good idea

In the second instance,..I prepare us for more dangerous things, like the power grid going down, either due to a Solar flare, or terrisum, both are reasonable threats for most people to understand.

The UK nuclular submarines are not that far south of us, so I have it in mind that one day a terrorist group might target them, if the wind blows north I want to be ready

...am I nuts?, no of course not, everyone talks about the threats we face, but to talk about threats and do nothing but talk is stupid, especialy when there are things we can do,.. we try and prepare,... thats why I am a Prepper
I prepare because my family........ DO NOT....that simple
I Prepare because of my location and that I'm a lazy sod.

Out here in the wilds of Orkney, it's a major thing even getting to the shops in Kirkwall (12 miles away), so running out of milk or something simple like that is at least a half an hour round trip.

And with the big city either an overnight ferry or an hour on the plane, well, being stocked up and partly self-sufficient is just normal.
(3 January 2013, 21:56)Bucket Wrote: [ -> ]I Prepare because of my location and that I'm a lazy sod.

Out here in the wilds of Orkney, it's a major thing even getting to the shops in Kirkwall (12 miles away), so running out of milk or something simple like that is at least a half an hour round trip.

And with the big city either an overnight ferry or an hour on the plane, well, being stocked up and partly self-sufficient is just normal.

This I can well understand,.. ok so we have a wee shop four miles away we can get milk and bread, but to do our general shopping, buy clothes, funtiture, find a dentist,.. we have a 100 miles round trip to Fort William

I have also spent time on Orkney,..and I would be a prepper there too...Smile
when i think about it i have always prepared, even when i was a single bloke living alone-long before i knew what a prepper was- i always had a store cupboard, might have run low but i NEVER actually ran out of food.Big Grin
I prepare because I'm not a fan of being caught without.....or dying unnecessarily, when a little effort could have saved me.
i am a prepper because i will NOT rely on the govt(unlike the sheeple) to feed me in a crisis, i want to be in charge of my destiny not leave it up to some "jobsworth"!Big Grin