Survival UK Forums

Full Version: crab/lobster pots
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
if your in a situation where you can use pots for catching lobster or crabs try putting chicken in as bait, apparently they love white meat.

just thought someone might find this useful Smile
I've found tuna is good for crabs (as long as it doesn't float out)
Bacon (uncooked) preferably a bit "off" seems to draw them in really well too.
How about putrid road kill or something you could not eat.

I would prefer to eat the chicken, tuna or bacon myself and use something I can not consume as lobster bait!
(8 January 2013, 17:11)Mortblanc Wrote: [ -> ]How about putrid road kill or something you could not eat.

I would prefer to eat the chicken, tuna or bacon myself and use something I can not consume as lobster bait!

Yeah, PSHTF naturally you're not going to waste food like that. But for now I'll stick to my off bacon thanks - I'm sure I'd get some funny looks pulling a rotting half a cat out of my bag in front of all the other families.

Also, how much road-kill are you expecting PSHTF?
Just a thought. Remember you are indirectly eating whatever you use as bait. Wasn't the whole beef/bse thing linked to dodgy animal feed?
(8 January 2013, 17:21)Geordie_Rob Wrote: [ -> ]Just a thought. Remember you are indirectly eating whatever you use as bait. Wasn't the whole beef/bse thing linked to dodgy animal feed?

You ever eaten scampi or shrimp? Guess what they eat....

The BSE thing came about from cows being fed cows (or bits thereof), IIRC
I bet they don't eat old rancid road kill. Lol
(8 January 2013, 17:33)Geordie_Rob Wrote: [ -> ]I bet they don't eat old rancid road kill. Lol

You are correct. They do eat all the rotting shit off the bottom of the ocean floor though. Fish poo and the like. Yum Big Grin
(8 January 2013, 17:15)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]
(8 January 2013, 17:11)Mortblanc Wrote: [ -> ]How about putrid road kill or something you could not eat.

Yeah, PSHTF naturally you're not going to waste food like that. But for now I'll stick to my off bacon thanks - I'm sure I'd get some funny looks pulling a rotting half a cat out of my bag in front of all the other families.

Also, how much road-kill are you expecting PSHTF?

Enough road kill for the lobster pots is not a problem, I will have enough to do the job.

I live 1500 miles from the nearest lobster or crab.Big Grin

I just could not imagine using good food for fishbait.

I did not know lobstering was an activity done as group-family recreation? All I have ever seen was men in boats doing their bit on the films.
i am 30 miles from the sea but i could see me fishing in the rivers round here, what about these American crayfish that are in most of our rivers? i imagine they would be good eating and we'd be doing the English crayfish a favour into the bargain. at the moment there is plenty of roadkill around, if we checked our locations on a regular basis i'd expect we'd be able to find some that hadnt gone rancid, the only time you have to be careful is in the summer when it goes off FAST so you have to find it when its fresh-just killed so to speak.
Pages: 1 2