Survival UK Forums

Full Version: How vain am I? :(
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifesty...-less.html
There is only one thing stopping me doing this....I am getting married soon, nowt posh, A few of our family, registry office...then home BUT...There is no way, I can have house guests staying over night with a Spartan house, I already live minimalist.
I would feel so ashamed that they think I am poor and can't afford anything. I would feel so ashamed that on my wedding day, we are drinking out of mugs because I don't have wine glasses, I can't do it, I just can't...After I am married and house guests have gone..Well that's a different story....Yours sincerely...Mrs Bucket x (Bouquet)
Does anyone on here, think they can live with 100 items in their house?
(WOULD LIKE TO ADD...When TSHTF ...I won't care,)
Well its something that I would never do,... and why should anyone want to live with 100 items,... we might well be prepers and are ready for tough times, but hell untill that time comes I will try to live the best way I can,..and thats having as many items to make life as comfortable as possible
It would not be impossible, but think what you are limited yourself to. I think about my tools - I must have 12 different headed and sizes screwdrivers. I use them all. I must have 5 sets of different pliers. I use them all. I have three different types of woodsaw and two hacksaws with different blade on. I have a claw hammer, an engineers hammer, a blacksmiths hammer. Twenty different clamps, a wood working vice, a metal working vice. Couple of tapes, couple of T squares, a roofing square an L square.

That is 50 hand tools right there, a tiny amount of what I have.

Could I live without them? Of course. I would have a hell of a bother making or repairing anything however.

Now, think about if an event happened - would you rather have the things needed to do the job that you had collected over the years, or would you have a simple life with 100 things where several of those hundred things might be pairs of socks?
i have never given a DAMN what people thought of me,they can think what they like, i really dont care!Big Grin
i think i'd be more concerned IF i had house guests about them finding my preps!Tongue
I have been thinking about minimalising my stuff. I have a wardrobe FULL of suits that I don't wear. But most are tailored, so are hard to just get rid of. The price is also a barrier to removal haha. I have a few suits that are around 2.5 months wages in my current job!!! CRAZY!!! This job sucks haha, okay, the pay sucks. The rest of the stuff about it is okay.

I think living with 100 items would be very doable. Gym card counts as 1 item right, haha? Think about how many tshirts you've worn recently? How many bowls or spoons do you really need? How many pairs of boots do you need?

You don't need a TV or any such thing really.

Having a problem with finding items to remove would be a greater issue, but I think the 100 item list is small. Doable, but tight.
heck when i was living on my own i had MUCH less than 100 items, i doubt if i had 50 and that included all the carpets and curtains! much easier to move around if you have less stuff, but dont include your preps or you could be in trouble!Big Grin