Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Food Waste
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
seen this morning on the news and on the text service: "HALF the worlds food, amounting to 2 BILLION tonnes worth ends up just being thrown way..poor storage,strict sell by dates, bulk offers(bugoffs) and consumer fussiness are the causes, 30% of vegatables in the UK are not harvested because of their PHYSICAL APPEARANCE!" this kind of waste just absolutely makes my blood boil, and at a time in the SW when i cant even access the supermarket skips to do a bit of "freeganism" cos their all behind high locked gates and high walls.
Its so you have to go in and buy something... bastards...
Its the world today see, everything's got to be perfect...
relationships, jobs, food...
Put dodgy looking food in home made soup, that's what it was invented for....
For me as long as its not rotting I'll give it a try...
they should be selling any excess at a reduced price not throwing it in the skip.
let pigs eat it again ,a pal of mine has pig farm the price of pig nuts is killing him ,still do it in other countrys end of problem
(10 January 2013, 13:17)Barneyboy Wrote: [ -> ]let pigs eat it again ,a pal of mine has pig farm the price of pig nuts is killing him ,still do it in other countrys end of problem

i think you'll find "pigs swill" is now illegal in this country, following the foot and mouth a few years ago, any farmers on here might be able to tell us if that is so??
(10 January 2013, 13:21)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]
(10 January 2013, 13:17)Barneyboy Wrote: [ -> ]let pigs eat it again ,a pal of mine has pig farm the price of pig nuts is killing him ,still do it in other countrys end of problem

i think you'll find "pigs swill" is now illegal in this country, following the foot and mouth a few years ago, any farmers on here might be able to tell us if that is so??

but how can swill cause foot and mouth ?
(10 January 2013, 13:23)Barneyboy Wrote: [ -> ]
(10 January 2013, 13:21)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]

but how can swill cause foot and mouth ?
i think the outbreak was caused because it was processed properly!!
Surely if they harvest the "imperfect" veg & feed it straight to pigs or whatever, it wouldn't be classed as swill.

Supermarkets won't sell veg that doesn't look right cheaply because people would buy that rather than the more expensive perfect carrot or whatever.
(10 January 2013, 13:31)Geordie_Rob Wrote: [ -> ]Surely if they harvest the "imperfect" veg & feed it straight to pigs or whatever, it wouldn't be classed as swill.

Supermarkets won't sell veg that doesn't look right cheaply because people would buy that rather than the more expensive perfect carrot or whatever.

i think you could, for instance, feed fresh apples to pigs but once those apples are mashed up with other fruit and veg and some loaves of bread and some bits of meat which are boiled up then it becomes "swill" which as i've said i think is now banned. some supermarkets (Waitrose for one) said they were going to start stocking odd shaped fruit and veg-but it hasnt filtered down to this neck of the woods. sister in law used to live in Londonistan and she remarked how cheap the food is there compared to Devon-and we live in the middle of farming country..dosent make sense.
Its amazing what we throw away and waste. Even if its mouldy it can be used for compost but its just pumped into landfills
Pages: 1 2 3 4