Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Milk
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A few months ago we started getting fresh raw milk from a small jersey herd. We buy nearly 2 gallons a week from that we get milk, cream, butter and soft cheeses.
The brother in law has stayed with us for a couple of days unexpectedly so we ran out of milk this morning he went to the local shop and brought back a pint of "SHOP" milk. It had no colour, cream or taste in fact it tasted like watered down milk. My son would not eat his cereal this milk with the "SHOP" milk.
It just goes to show what muck we are fed these days from the supermarkets. In fact what is now skimmed and semi skimmed milk is a waste product from cream production. I remember would it was sold as pig swill.
I noticed it myself....called to look at a job on a farm last week....had a brew totally different..they make butter and cheese on a small scale for themselves ...i could not buy any...i did try , and even offered a weekly order...they used to sell....but the super markets killed that off.....they only have a few milkers now they said...WHAT A BLOODY WASTE..of a good farm and farmer,s with their guts ripped out....did not get the job either ....the 1 son now drives a JCB ...not his....crying shame
One of my first jobs on a farm,,.. before I was tall enough to drive a trator was turning the handle of the butter maker, we had farm cheese and butter untill I moved away to join the Army,... I soooo miss real butter
wife was a herdswoman on farms in Devon, went to Bicton ag college, as for milk we have been buying and drinking UHT milk for the last 15 years.