Survival UK Forums

Full Version: what would life be like with out others
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
just wondering if something big happened and our world change to a more hostle place ( i know you think it's bad but it could get a lot worse)
then have you really thought about your family and what would happen.
it's ok if you your old and the OH is too and your kids have grown up and left the nest, but if not and your family need you what ideas have you come up with??
how would your OH manage alone and your kids need to socialize some sort of happyness is found needs to happen? (friends/partners/ some who has your back when needed)
how would they find these without danger
if you lose the will to live you want to die and isolation can do that.
would it not be better to form a group now and that way you know at least somethingConfusedUndecidedHuh
thats where being a loner comes in handy, brought up as an "only" child has its advantages, spent a LOT of time alone but never lonely.TongueBig Grin
The question can still apply if you are older, as long as you have kids and we have grand kids, you are going to worry

It depends so much on the type of event, if its sudden, serious, Nuclear, then we have both agreed that its very likely we would never see them again as they are three hours south of us,.. there would be nothing we or they could do about it,.. we would just have to survive the best way we could without them

If it was something like an EMI and they had no transport, then again, they would have to look after themselves as best they could

If the event creeps up, like civil unrest, and they had the car, then they would be told to gather as much food as possible and get themselves up here as fast as they could

a large family group permently around close by would be good, but its impractical in this day and age, neither our kids or grandkids would like it up here perminant it would drive them nuts

If we assume that we are younger with young children here, then it would certainly curtail there social life almost to nil for a good long time,... and thats maybe something that should either be spoken about now as a preper, [ if they are old enough to understand ] or enforce after the event, if they are not

Our hands are tied behide our backs with this subject
i have no kids, OH has a daughter with family of her own, they live 25 miles away in Barnstaple, we dont have the space for them here-they have a bigger house than we do! sister in law lives in a small town 13 miles from here(she thinks she's going to share with the neighbours and vice versaDodgy), lets see, married cousin lives about 20 miles away on a farm complex, widowed half sister lives near Maidenhead in her own ex council flat...she is the only one i'd be really worried about as she is not that far from Londonistan (she's 72!) and all the problems that brings!Tongue
now really is the time to get people together, if you have the lone wolf mentality thats fine but in my opinion in a post SHTF world having a group will be better, if people have specific jobs things will run smoother Smile

if i had to i think i could live by myself (previously spent almost 3 years in a room by myself for 12 hours a day, 5 days a week) so i feel i could manage that, its just keeping yourself occupied. but i like company plus its a lot easier to sleep somewhere you shouldnt be when you know you have someone watching out for you Big Grin
thats fine, but the knack is finding someone/anyone that you can (literally) trust with your lifeTongue i have only know 3 people in my entire life that i can truthfully say that about, so for me "lone wolf" (ok , me & OH then) is the ONLY way to go.
We might be a bit unique,.. or daft I dont know which, but are prepping for us and another couple,.... they simply dont know it yet.

I would love to form a group of people that are close enough to make it worth while, i.e. within a few miles,.. but its not a normal subject to approach anyone with [ although still trying from time to time ]

So what we are doing is prepping for us and a couple who live down the road,.. I am sure that he would laugh if I told him we were prepers, but if the shit hit the fan I am sure like many others he would be thankfull for the chance to join a preper,... he is a great mate of ours, plus he is a game keeper for one of the Estates, so he has access to guns

Maybe I can get into the subject one day...Smile
Highlander, my stores are eventually going to be for my immediate family plus a dozen or so extended family. Like your situation, they have no idea either.
i hope you've got a big house cos thats going to be one helleva store of food, watch your OPSEC!(walls have ears!!Big Grin)
All I can do Paul is store as much as possible & try & be sensible with what I store. After that I'm screwed. Ill be honest though, water will be my/our biggest worry.
Pages: 1 2