Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Canning Kit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a friend travelling to California today on holiday. He has offered to buy some canning kit for me and bring or send it back.

What is the best canning kit to have? Any recommendations?
As far as I know the best is,..`The All American` kits,... you are very lucky having the offer, you should get him to bring back a few, you would make a lot of money,...Smile
I would defo buy one...... Smile
I'd look at this SD:

http://www.reusablecanninglids.com/

we can get the jars here, as well as the 1 use metal lids but not the reusable kind. If I had a friend across the pond I'd be asking for some and some spare bands
The price to buy from the USA is not to bad but add on the shipping costs....aarrgghhhhh.
(20 January 2013, 01:30)Prepaday Wrote: [ -> ]The price to buy from the USA is not to bad but add on the shipping costs....aarrgghhhhh.

Its not just the price of the good and the shipping charges, we have looked into this,.. if the item is new, you will have to pay a great wod in tax as well as shipping costs.... if you can get one second hand and sent over as a gift, then you are ok,... unless they pick it out to check it,... then you get a small handling charge
SD, Is your friend speaking of canning jars or metal cans? Certainly a metal canner would be a very good investment. The only problem that you would encounter with a metal canner, would be a supply of the metal cans. I know of no source in the UK. There are obviously many firms canning goods in this country, so they might supply you. You would also have to consider can size. Kenneth Eames.
Ken,

He wasn't talking specifically. He just asked if there was anything he could get me and he isn't the sort to send me an Uzi so I looked at alternatives and canning equipment and a grain mill were the items I thought of.
I heard a whisper from a staff member that Lakeland were considering selling pressure cooking thingy that people make preserves with, but the end product goes into sealed mason jars not tin cans.

Theres a couple on Amazon around £70

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywo...c96xo1gz_b
The presto`s and the Mirro`s use a rubber seal that I understand goes quiet often, the `All American` doesnt have that seal, and is a better canner,.... but hell,...look at the price over £250 with postage