Survival UK Forums

Full Version: RNAS Yeovilton
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was in the RNAS museum last year, well worth a visit, the wildcat is just a tarted up Lynx I reckon but the Lynx was a choppper well ahead of its time, the Lynx still holds the air speed record for choppers. The Army will bring some disciple and professionalism to the soap droppers Smile
I've been to Yeovilton to the museum twice as a kid in the 1980s to poke at the Westland Wasp they had on display there. On one occasion I was up a ladder having a look inside the cockpit of a Phantom while my dad waited down for me down below. A security guard thought we were acting suspiciously and came over to have words with us and when he heard the NI accent he must have thought he'd struck gold (the Troubles were still ongoing at the time). But my dad calmed him down very quickly and it turned out the guard was ex RN, same as my dad, and had spent time at the same training facility in Devon, so all ended with a bit of camaraderie and a few laughs.