Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Highland AL and an experimental Baofeng UV5RC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Highland AL and an experimental Baofeng UV5RC

AL the internet disadvantaged prepper from NW Scotland kindly took pity on me and snaffled my UV5RC and took it home to play with, He has now set up the radio that does meet more but not all of my groups comms needs. He has taken the experimental UV5RC we bought from Sinotel and got rid of the frequencies that are no use to non ham enthusiasts and left it as a PMR 446 band unit.

So now it’s a UV5RC with only the twenty ( 20) main PMR 446 channels, the display I believe is now showing both the frequency AND channel numbers so technophobes like me can simply tell my family members go to channel 5 rather than enter or search for an 8 digit frequency. That gives us a radio more capable and more useful for less than half the cost of an Intek MT 5050 though the Intek still has the aesthetic appeal for me.

He is also going to write a step by step idiot grade instruction sheet on how to add extra channels after TSHTF if people need them, I asked if I could have the CB channels added but apparently this device is incapable of dealing with the 10 and 11 meter stuff but hey ho at least now or very soon we will have a PMR radio set that can use the legal .5 watt power setting for now, and the full 5 watt power setting after TSHTF if you want such a thing.

I’ve also been checking out accessory antennas for the UV5RC and many people have tried various aftermarket antennas like the Nagoya NA 701 and it’s debatable whether it improves the radio because the one supplied is already quite good. Be careful though apparently there are lots of Counterfeit Nagoya antennas out there that look identical to the real thing but these can damage your radio.

Some models of UV5 can be fitted with larger capacity battery packs to longer operational time, and also some models can also be fitted with an adaptor box that allows you to fit 6 x AAA batteries as a backup or alternative power source (from E bay ).

AL also advises you can get leather cases from Hong Kong for a couple of quid for the UV5RC, plus you can get battery eliminators so you can power the radio from your cars fag lighter socket.

I believe AL is also rendering technical assistance to other prepper radio users in northern Scotland who like me have been struggling to get to grips with the radio systems, so I express my gratitude to AL for his contribution to prepper comms for keeping it simple, listening to me whinge and coming up with a working system.

When funds allow I hope to obtain an Intek MT 50 50 to experiment with to see if I can develop a group comms radio that matches my needs even better but I foresee two insurmountable issues before we even start, first is the price the MT50 50 is £70 compared to the Baofengs £40 price tag, and early investigations by AL suggest that modifying the MT 50 50 Antenna though improving ranges sadly leaves the physical strength of the radios plastic body greatly reduced and more vulnerable to damage and cracking.

The search continues but at least so far I find plenty of other preppers have independently come to the conclusion that CB (usually 27fm UK and Cept) and PMR 446 radio systems are good systems for our post SHTF comms systems.
I would also like it known that Al is a wonder,.. he has also helped me and Bracken to sort out our UV5R, giving us just what we need from the set right now [ which is less than NR needs ]

I have sent for the 774 attenna. so I will let you know how that goes when I get it
Dispite using low power these radios are still illegal to use on the PMR frequencies pre sitx because of the removable, changable antenna.

The chances of you being caught are slim but it is wrong to claim it is legal in my opinion.
There is NO claim the UV5RC is Legal in my article.
Sorry, it was this part of you post that must have confused me.
Quote: soon we will have a PMR radio set that can use the legal .5 watt power setting for now, and the full 5 watt power setting after TSHTF if you want such a thing.
Yup it say can use the legal part .5 watt power setting, but it doesnt say its legal the whole Uv5RC and Intek MT 50 50 debate is for using the PMR frequencies AFTER TSHTf, but having the kit now and in a working state makes sense Smile

Its prolly easy to lose track on this very long series of threads there must be at least 6 different threads in the comms section alone all cross referencing each other, the comms thread has been very contencious at best Smile
Understood

I have not explored the PMR side of UV5R I must admit. It is something I was discussing this with my wife this morning and how usefull it could be.

I will try to read back through some of the other threads on the subject.
I'm hoping that AL is going to do a simplified article on the benefits of PMR446 and the frequencies around it based on the UV3 / 4 / 5 family but hes not online so it will come ( eventually) by post on a flash drive that i will post for him. If i had the money i would just buy the very simple but very handy ( and powerful) Intek MT5050 for my wife and kids and I would use the more fiddly UV5RC but the Inteks are double the price of the Uv5s
Just like you NR, we only want the simplest radios that are capable of 8 to 20 miles range. We thought there had to be one out there somewhere, but didn't know where to look. Thank you for finding this NR. Its perfict.

The UV5RC specifs say that power is 1w on the low power setting and 4w on the high power setting. That is 2x to 8x increase in power of our Binatone Terrain 950 radios.

We are ordering a pair immediately, so that the kids can keep on the Binatones and we can keep in touch with them over greater distances using the UV5RCs.
Get em from Sinotel and they come preprogrammed as per their ad including the PMR446 8 channels and I think theres an AM/FM radio built in as well.

NOTE I believe that the large capacity battieries you can get for the UV5a Uv5 + etc wont for the 5 c ?
Highlander is experimenting with Antenna.

Guys TBH the people to pay the most attention to on this subject are AL, Tarrel and Highlander plus the excellent advice offered by Light Speed in his article.
Pages: 1 2 3 4