Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Am I on the Right Forum?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, I've pottered gently through most of the posts on this Forum, marvelling at the information given and wondering at the scale of prepping carried out by some of you. It's a little scary, I must admit, to hear so many people thinking that things are going to get bad in the not-too-distant-future, but also strangely heartening that people are taking care of their families and thinking ahead.

Am I doing this right? I have to admit I am not storing huge amounts of dried foods (I do have a walk-in larder and it is well-stocked, but it is not up to a prolonged siege); I do not have any weapons (OH is marksman-standard after his Services training, but we do not own a weapon - unless you count our bonkers and territorial dog), and I do not own a bug-out bag. I say that, but I do have a first aid kit!

No, my survival tactics involve planting lots of useful trees (I now have a little and productive orchard) and a kitchen garden. I hoard seeds and they keep viable for years. I can make a meal from just about anything. I have all the old-fashioned crafts and skills learned when I was a wee girl, and I can tell you how Ma Nature keeps the seasons turning and what to plant when and how.

I just don't seem to fit with the prepping mentality, but I know I am aware and alert. Am I on the wrong forum?
sounds like your on the right track.if you can grow your own food day after day after day, you will be miles ahead of those who only have a store of food which will one day run out. it sounds like you have access to some sort of garden or land, could you supplement your planting with maybe some chickens and rabbits for meat? or are you vegetarian? if so i apologise! but these animals dont take up much room, people had them in their back yards during WW2 and they are fairly easy to look after.
everybody preps in their own way.
Weapons of some sort would help, but that depends if your proficient and not scared of using them if you have too.
For example crossbow, bow and for small game an air rifle.
Depends also if your other half's a willing participant or a drag along...
Mines a drag along.
Prepping can be for the end of the world as we know it or it can be for life little hardships like job loss and loss of earnings etc.

Each of those two examples is at the opposite end of the spectrum of prepping.
I personally prep for all eventualities but that's just me.

If your just starting out don't be disheartened, we all started with nothing but a few tins and skills.
We all spend time researching how to be more self sufficient so your heading the right way there.

We aim to be as independent of the government and their interference as possible now and especially after an event of some sort.

Most people nowadays have little food stored in their home and if the gas or electric went off, no means of cooking it.

As preppers we aim to bypass those inconveniences so we have an easy ride.

If you stock up a large larder of food for hard times are you willing to defend it with force if necessary?

That may mean firing crossbows at people that were once your neighbors who are now after steeling your stores.

Do you have kids?
Do you want them to starve if there's no food delivered for weeks to the local supermarkets?

Do you want to starve?

Its strange if you partners ex mill that he's not more into this really, most ex mill love prepping and planning for theirs and their family's survival.

Mind each to their own.

As for us planning for some event...
Preppers are a paranoid bunch from one extreme to the other.
Don't worry if your not totally paranoid waiting for the next cold war like some of us or Al-cia-da to blow something up.
Everybody s different on here, some trust the powers that be some dont, that's me.

Do you trust the powers that be to feed you. cloth you and yours if something were to happen?
Most of us dot thats why we prepare...
easy ride should be our motto...
Mary everyone preps for something different and in different ways

(3 February 2013, 18:00)MaryN Wrote: [ -> ]No, my survival tactics involve planting lots of useful trees (I now have a little and productive orchard) and a kitchen garden. I hoard seeds and they keep viable for years. I can make a meal from just about anything. I have all the old-fashioned crafts and skills learned when I was a wee girl, and I can tell you how Ma Nature keeps the seasons turning and what to plant when and how.

The above along with your well stocked larder are all very valuable, especially with the future economic problems we'll be seeing. Don't worry about what other people are doing unless it's something you want to do.
It sounds to me as if your prepping mentality is just fine, you are aware of whats going on, you have ground and you are using it, and you have skills that will be in demand

Dont think too much about `doomsday prepping` just prep, it doesn matter if you prep for a floods, drought, fuel strike or old age, you are doing right in looking to the future with survival in mind.

Equipment, as in weapons is not always important, some might even say that haveing a gun, might mean that someone else may use a gun on you, your skills are a far better thing to have

So ,... yes I would say you are on the right forum, if you want to feel even more at home, then share some of your skills with us, remember that what you may think of as very simple may be unknown to others
(3 February 2013, 18:09)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]sounds like your on the right track.if you can grow your own food day after day after day, you will be miles ahead of those who only have a store of food which will one day run out. it sounds like you have access to some sort of garden or land, could you supplement your planting with maybe some chickens and rabbits for meat? or are you vegetarian? if so i apologise! but these animals dont take up much room, people had them in their back yards during WW2 and they are fairly easy to look after.
Thankfully we are not vegetarians. I already keep some chickens for eggs, but I guess that could be boosted to include some meat poultry. Not sure about rabbits at the mo', a bit too much trouble to faff about with hutches and such. I'm not even sure I could kill something, but then, if need be and hunger kicks in I would probably get on with it. We do have some land and we keep horses (useful mode of transport, I should say!), and I could easily annexe some of that for pig or sheep keeping if necessary. My neighbour over the road is getting a few weaners and she has said we can share rearing them if I pass over any household/garden waste. Hey, there is hope.....

Thanks, Guys, all useful comments and I shall mull them over. Most of me is hopeful that nothing horrible happens, but I do realise that things are deteriorating all the time, and some kickback is sort of inevitable.

My OH, although now retired from the Services, did his 25 years and thoroughly enjoyed himself, but he's not normally aggressive. He just does things well and has an aptitude for coping. Actually, he likes to view things as challenges rather than problems, and I think that is quite positive. Would I defend myself and my family? Of course. No weapons but one could improvise with a garden machete and a pitchfork if need be. I hope it doesn't come to that.