Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Made several realisations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Thinking back through the past couple years and my present situation, I made several realisations;

1. I used to own an OS map of my local area when I was 12. It was given to me for free from my school. I ended up chucking it away, because I didn't see the point in having such a big map.
2. If I want to get some serious prepping done, I will have to move out. But with no funds, that seems real unlikely it will happen any time soon.
3. I really need a job. the only source of income I get is from my mum and from my college. It seems place with vacancies don't want to employ me.

So I know that until I get a job-or win the lottery- I'm stuck living with my mum buying cheap end food and waiting until I can legally buy guns and knives.
Amazing what useful thing we discard when we are young and daft, I tossed out my grandads big heavy field classes and his clasp knife !!!!

And we all have to work within our funds, I've been skint for 12 years now but still make slow but steady progress, You have your whole life ahead of you , reach out and grab it.

(9 February 2013, 22:35)Destiny Wrote: [ -> ]Thinking back through the past couple years and my present situation, I made several realisations;

1. I used to own an OS map of my local area when I was 12. It was given to me for free from my school. I ended up chucking it away, because I didn't see the point in having such a big map.
2. If I want to get some serious prepping done, I will have to move out. But with no funds, that seems real unlikely it will happen any time soon.
3. I really need a job. the only source of income I get is from my mum and from my college. It seems place with vacancies don't want to employ me.

So I know that until I get a job-or win the lottery- I'm stuck living with my mum buying cheap end food and waiting until I can legally buy guns and knives.
You might hate this suggestion...Tesco.

Moving out isn't worth it until you can afford a deposit. Renting isn't much fun.

Tesco pay about £9 an hour for night shelf stacking. Is it crap degrading work? Who gives a toss?!?! It's money, regular, and a pretty good wage. Well worth looking into, in my opinion.

For living at home, see if you can sneak tins under the cupboard false floor. Stealth caching haha.

As for doing serious prepping...don't. If your focus is prepping, you're missing out on life day by day. Better to lead an awesome life, have fun, adventure, explore, learn, develop, grow, then prep as well.

Remember, prepping is for something that MIGHT happen. Since there's no guarantee anything will happen, better enjoy now, but be ready incase something happens. I have a job, Internet business (not paying much at the moment), sell stuff on eBay. I'm in the gym when I can. I drive a reasonable car, am married to an amazing woman, we're buying a house at the moment, we holiday around the world. I educate myself daily, and all in all, lead a pretty good life.

I'd rather live the life I have, than stay at home, prep all the time, and wait for something that might never happen.

Don't live to prep. Prep to live.
There is possibly another way if you are brave enough,... and that is finding seasonal jobs in tourist locations which offer live in accommodations.
Try hotels, or many of the large estates [ Scotland ] for instance.. Hotels are almost always staffed by foreign workers who live in, so many British people think hotels are beneath them, and dont dismiss the Estates, you may have what they need just find a possibility and apply..... anyway, once you are in for the season, you can start looking for something better

Maybe something to mull over
I ended up working in bars by walking into everyone were I lived, took a day but I got one in the end. If you are applying via application form put on it your dyslexic, because of equal opertunities they have to look at your application.
Center Parcs, PGL etc are always looking for young staff, as are the hotels in the channel island, other youngsters do grape picking in France and havesting work in Israeli Kibuttezs
Having your own place can be great but you have rent, villian(council tax) every bill under the sun to pay and thats after some sod taxes your pay
I agree with the hotel ones, you can find loads that are live in, also you can work on ships, they tend to be good money and you get time of in blocks though you also have to workfor a few weeks solidly too. at home have you got a shed or an outhouse that you could use and put stuff into? i know living with your parents its hard to find some space so maybes thats an idea??
(9 February 2013, 22:35)Destiny Wrote: [ -> ]Thinking back through the past couple years and my present situation, I made several realisations;

The best "serious" prepping you can do is expanding your knowledge; get of your arse and go and learn what edible and medicinal plants are growing wild in your local parks, at all times of the year. You don't need guns and knives to be a prepper. They are useful tools,but humans survived and thrived for millennia with nothing more than wood, antler and flint tools. Native Americans did not have any metalwork until Europeans arrived, and yet, they lived and thrived and how many people nowadays think they were culturally better than we are today. Learning to improvise, adapt and overcome with little more than what is within your head is the mark of a "serious" prepper and survivalist. Food stores, weapons, BOV's and other tools are important in that they really improve your chances of surviving but without knowledge of how to use them in a holistic way to live, they are no more than a dead weight. I.E. you could have the worlds greatest rifle system, but if you don't know where to find a deer to shoot you're going to starve. Conversely, some guy armed with a home made/ improvised bow and arrow who knows where to ambush his prey has a better chance of survival.
Spot on Ranger.

So many people forget the basics and get caught up in the glamour tools and gear (myself included).

Get a wild plants book and go learn 10 different types of tree. Then learn to identify something else from nature.

Whether they're edible or not isn't critical. Learning edible is useful! But just learn what they are called. That knowledge will go a long way!
Pages: 1 2