Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Should i even bother
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
My bov isnt going to be my main day to day transport so am i right in thinking should i tax and mot the 4x4 if it is only EVER going to be used in a SHTF situation?

Considering it will be roadworthy who is going to be checking tax mot when it all kicks off

Thoughts Welcome and bad mouthing also Wink
(13 February 2013, 17:00)Shaysdad99 Wrote: [ -> ]My bov isnt going to be my main day to day transport so am i right in thinking should i tax and mot the 4x4 if it is only EVER going to be used in a SHTF situation?

Considering it will be roadworthy who is going to be checking tax mot when it all kicks off

Thoughts Welcome and bad mouthing also Wink

If you can afford it, then yes.

4x4 isn't just for bugging out in. I sold mine, would have come in very handy moving house, or picking up stock.
You're spot on.

If something happens, and all hell breaks loose, NOBODY is going to be checking your tax disk!!! Make sure it runs, your seatbelts work properly, and you can survive a small accident (better to be safe than sorry). Providing you car can hold up to that, then why not go for it?
if your 4X4 is ONLY going to sit on your drive and not be driven, i think thats wasted money, sell it and get something you ARE going to use.
If you're good at car repairs it maybe a good idea to keep it maintained & MOT'd just incase. Depending on your space, if you keep it SORN, you can tax & insure it at anytime should you need it.

Like Paul says though, it may be better to flog it & use the money on something you can use.
I see your point paul however am just going to use a fiesta for day to day use and it just wont go off road when the sheeple abandon there own cars when they run out of fuel etc i need the 4x4 option to be able to use cycle tracks , farmers fields and any other terrain that stands in my way when it all kicks off ,

Ok so it may be a waste for it just to sit however at least a know its there and ready to go whenever i need it ,

and my german shepherd would just look stupid riding shotgun in a fiesta :-)
(13 February 2013, 17:56)Shaysdad99 Wrote: [ -> ]I see your point paul however am just going to use a fiesta for day to day use and it just wont go off road when the sheeple abandon there own cars when they run out of fuel etc i need the 4x4 option to be able to use cycle tracks , farmers fields and any other terrain that stands in my way when it all kicks off ,

Ok so it may be a waste for it just to sit however at least a know its there and ready to go whenever i need it ,

and my german shepherd would just look stupid riding shotgun in a fiesta :-)

i agree about the fiesta!Big Grin mind you i dont think you actually need a 4X4 for bugging out, if your just using back roads,cycle paths and bridle paths a standard vehicle with good ground clearance will suffice(i dont own a 4X4), NO vehicle is adequate for travelling off road in the weather we have had down here the last 6 months-even the farmers are having trouble going off tarmac. some times when people talk about going off road i wish they would come down here so i could show them just how under water the countryside is!Angry
there's a cycle track up here right next to the river blyth a remember from my younger days taking a cavalier along it thinking it had enough clearance until i hit the sump ! nasty

A think the 4x4 is more peace of mind if i need to ram my way out of a situation or something but i agree it wont get me out of everything :-)
Good thing about city/town living Paul. 99% of the time the drainage is fab Smile

(13 February 2013, 18:14)Shaysdad99 Wrote: [ -> ]there's a cycle track up here right next to the river blyth a remember from my younger days taking a cavalier along it thinking it had enough clearance until i hit the sump ! nasty

A think the 4x4 is more peace of mind if i need to ram my way out of a situation or something but i agree it wont get me out of everything :-)

I remember doing something similar in a nova Smile Luckily it never bottomed out but I nearly got stuck a few times.
(13 February 2013, 18:15)Geordie_Rob Wrote: [ -> ]Good thing about city/town living Paul. 99% of the time the drainage is fab Smile

yes until it backs up in a storm-dont forget i've lived in a city!Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3