Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Food, starting from scratch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, I'm new to this forum but have been prepping for a few years now.
I have a good idea of what to store etc but am open to any tips or advice on types of food and storage etc.
I've always gone for the tinned option so would like to look at other avenues especially since I'm now with a partner and child!
Welcome from the Scottish Highlands.

Tins are fine, you can cover most foods with tins,... other options though might include floor [ if you freeze it first then store it you kill off any weevil],...you could try pickling, or drying food
Thanks Highlander and greetings from East Anglia, not a bloody hill in sight.
What's your take on freeze dried so called "disaster food" in big tubs that I've seen advertised on American prep sites?
Store what your family NORMALLY eats and LIKES to eat, during a disaster folks are already stressed to death so trying to feed em on HP beans which they dont like instead of their favourite Hienze only increases stress, I've seen those bulk tubs of grub on Amazon .uk, they dont appeal to me or my family, I prefer to store more normalised foods though I am looking at getting tinned cheese and tinned butter in from Germany,

Welcome BTW
NR
I am not sure of those tubs either,...I guess that they might be ok, but what happens once they are opened, I wonder how long the food lasts after that,... a bit of research would help there

NR is right, its easy enough to store what you normally eat, then when you think you have a good store, you can start by eating the older stock and replacing with fresh tins
I think from what I've seen there good for a couple of weeks once opened.
My main reason for getting for example a 3 month supply was for a fall back plan and once the labels are removed there not instantly recognised like normal tins if that makes sense.
hello and welcome from norfolkSmile
Thanks BB.
Hello

I am a big fan of the freeze dried food. i like to have something done and ready thaat wont need messing around with. freeze dried lasts an amazing amount of time but you have to buy it in the UK or you get hit by a massive customs charge (like i did)

I wont get started on the tins until i get my new house later in the year and will also be able to supplement with some mylar.

freeze dried is expensive.
(14 February 2013, 21:15)SecretPrepper Wrote: [ -> ]Hello

I am a big fan of the freeze dried food. i like to have something done and ready thaat wont need messing around with. freeze dried lasts an amazing amount of time but you have to buy it in the UK or you get hit by a massive customs charge (like i did)

I wont get started on the tins until i get my new house later in the year and will also be able to supplement with some mylar.

freeze dried is expensive.

Any suppliers that you recommend?
Pages: 1 2