Survival UK Forums

Full Version: English Longbow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello folks I don't know where to put this as I am willing to donate this bow for the "cause" to someone who is going to use it.
I have an English Longbow made by yours truly and it is about 12 years old. The bow is made from Degame and backed with Hickory. It has a Flemish twist string made by me, and has Buffallo Horn knocks. The length of the Bow is 6ft plus and is tillered to shoot 29 inch arrows at approx 55lbs draw weight. The bow has been "shot in" but not finished, ie it needs a final fine sanding and sealing with Varnish, Teak oil or wax etc. The Horn knocks also need the final sanding and varnishing. I have just strung it and shot it down the garden and it still shoots as good as the day it was made. I have only shot this Bow a couple of dozen times and since then has been stored. If anyone seriously wants this Bow just PM me with details where to send it. I will also make this promise to destroy any details once the bow is recieved and the person is happy. Regarding the Bow and shooting, please bear in mind this weapon is made from Wood and so I can't give anyone a gaurantee that it will not break, even with normal use for that is the nature of natural products. I expect the person who wants the bow to pay for the postage which I will have to price up first. This is not a Bow for a beginner as you need to know how to string it and more importantly how to adjust the "brace height" of the string (I have set this up today) but it will need adjusting once you start to shoot it.
If anyone has any questions please ask me and I will be as honest as I can.
Wow it sounds gorgous and something i would love to own, I'm actually going down to Nottingham in april to buy a new one piece bow from Custom Built Archery, ( A korean 4 ft horse bow) I hope your bow finds a new home worthy of the time and effort you have invested in it, its to long and to powerful for my humble needs.

I would add DONT POST IT I know a guy who bought a Bikerstaff English Longbow and the courier broke it, I would have cried if it was mine.
That's very generous of you TH.
I just wish I was skilled enough to use it
Its acts like TH's that restore my faith in preppers.
I would love to have it, but being a archery novice feel it should go to someone more expierenced
(15 February 2013, 17:29)Tartar Horde Wrote: [ -> ]Hello folks I don't know where to put this as I am willing to donate this bow for the "cause" to someone who is going to use it.
I have an English Longbow made by yours truly and it is about 12 years old. The bow is made from Degame and backed with Hickory. It has a Flemish twist string made by me, and has Buffallo Horn knocks. The length of the Bow is 6ft plus and is tillered to shoot 29 inch arrows at approx 55lbs draw weight. The bow has been "shot in" but not finished, ie it needs a final fine sanding and sealing with Varnish, Teak oil or wax etc. The Horn knocks also need the final sanding and varnishing. I have just strung it and shot it down the garden and it still shoots as good as the day it was made. I have only shot this Bow a couple of dozen times and since then has been stored. If anyone seriously wants this Bow just PM me with details where to send it. I will also make this promise to destroy any details once the bow is recieved and the person is happy. Regarding the Bow and shooting, please bear in mind this weapon is made from Wood and so I can't give anyone a gaurantee that it will not break, even with normal use for that is the nature of natural products. I expect the person who wants the bow to pay for the postage which I will have to price up first. This is not a Bow for a beginner as you need to know how to string it and more importantly how to adjust the "brace height" of the string (I have set this up today) but it will need adjusting once you start to shoot it.

Hi TH,

That is a great thing to do. I have made a few bows myself just using the trial and error method and I know how long even my feeble efforts took to make. Do you have any advice on methods etc?
Thanks for the replies, the Bow has found a new home.
I unfortunately will have to post it but will make damn sure it is well protected for the person recieving it. I have a few other bows that I don't use anymore, ranging from Junior takedown trainer bows to full size Recurve target bows, I intend to donate them all, and my house is starting to look like the Royal Armouries lol.
You will love the Horsebow/asiatic composite, I have a 60lb Grozer mongol bow and can't fault it at all, they are very fast and pointable.

(15 February 2013, 19:36)Megatron Wrote: [ -> ]
(15 February 2013, 17:29)Tartar Horde Wrote: [ -> ]Hello folks I don't know where to put this as I am willing to donate this bow for the "cause" to someone who is going to use it.

Hi TH,

That is a great thing to do. I have made a few bows myself just using the trial and error method and I know how long even my feeble efforts took to make. Do you have any advice on methods etc?

If you can't get anyone to show you I would recommend buying the series of books known as "the traditional Bowyers Bible" you will get all the dimensions for any type of bow you wish to make, and good advice about why different bow designs work and why.
If you are going to start making a bow I would suggest starting with an American flatbow design, as the limbs will not be as stressed as in an English Longbow which to be honest is not the easiest of bows to start out on. The most honest advice I can give is take your time and "feeeeel" the wood, and don't forget once you have taken wood away you can't put it back on. Regarding wood types, Yew is the best bow wood there is end of argument, but Osage Orange is a close second. These woods are no good for the beginner as they are too expensive (yew) and hard as hell (osage) Ash can make a good bow and is relatively cheap. If you have any wood shops that supply Degame (African) it is very easy to work and somewhat forgiving but needs a backing ie (Hickory).
Great post TH!!!

Loving the community attitude.
(15 February 2013, 21:22)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]Great post TH!!!

Loving the community attitude.

I AM A RIVER TO MY PEOPLEBig Grin Noblese Oblige and all that