Survival UK Forums

Full Version: 33 facts that might come in handy when the SHTF.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I love the Yanks and their obsession with stuffing tampons in any sort of wound. Good luck with that, stuff it in the hole in your arm, then scream in even more pain as it absorbs all that blood and increases in size...
no. 10 I like wasp nest spray ????????????????
nice one BP bloody good find mate
27. Acetaminophen (paracetamol) kills snakes. One 1/4 of a tablet is enough.

I'm trying to find further information on this... what snakes it effects and how? Anybody have a link or some more information to share, thanks.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2010...ill-snakes Only found this
(21 February 2013, 18:50)Melissa15 Wrote: [ -> ]27. Acetaminophen (paracetamol) kills snakes. One 1/4 of a tablet is enough.

I'm trying to find further information on this... what snakes it effects and how? Anybody have a link or some more information to share, thanks.

i shouldnt worry about it, Britain only has one poisonous snake and thats the Adder, most of the time it will see you before you see it..and skedaddle!
I knew most of these but handy to have in one place.

Didn't know that Bubonic plague was still in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
The one about paracetamol killing snakes

I love these lists.
Oh and that one from from Lizzie as well in case you missed that.
i use aloe for more than burns (only used once or twice as my children burn them selfs) but my feet sweat to the point that even though i take real good care of them the still start to rot from time to time (i've been in real bad pain) aloe (no lie) gives my feet new skin by morning!!! i also recently had an itch up the insides of my legs, got bad with my itching it. it started to got red round the wounds (sign of infection) i popped of the scabs with my knife after cleaning blade with flame-then applied aloe. again next morning not only had the redness completly stopped but the itching had stopped. aloe also needs little light to grow. so make clones then clones of clones!! its as valuable as the medi bag!! got this from wikki-Preparations made from the plant Aloe vera are often referred to as "aloe vera".[37] Scientific evidence for the cosmetic and therapeutic effectiveness of aloe vera is limited and when present is frequently contradictory.[2][3] Despite this, the cosmetic and alternative medicine industries regularly make claims regarding the soothing, moisturizing, and healing properties of aloe vera.[4][38] Aloe vera gel is used as an ingredient in commercially available lotions, yogurt, beverages, and some desserts,[39][40][41] although at certain doses, it has toxic properties when used either for ingested or topical applications.[42] In Spanish-speaking countries, Aloe vera is known as "Sabila."
Folk medicine

Early records of Aloe vera use appear in the Ebers Papyrus from 16th century BC,[14] in both Dioscorides' De Materia Medica and Pliny the Elder's Natural History written in the mid-first century AD[14] along with the Juliana Anicia Codex produced in 512 AD.[39] The species is used widely in the traditional herbal medicine of many countries.[4] Aloe vera, called Kathalai in Ayurvedic medicine, is used as a multipurpose skin treatment. This may be partly due to the presence of Saponin, a chemical compound that acts as an anti-microbial agent.[43]
Dietary supplement

Aloin, a compound found in the exudate of some Aloe species, was the common ingredient in over-the-counter (OTC) laxative products in the United States prior to 2003, when the Food and Drug Administration ruled that aloin was a class III ingredient, thereby banning its use.[44] Aloe vera has potential toxicity, with side-effects occurring at some dose levels both when ingested or applied topically.[42] Although toxicity may be less when aloin is removed by processing, aloe vera that contains aloin in excess amounts may induce side-effects.[4][5][45] A 2-year National Toxicology Program (NTP) study on oral consumption of non-decolorized whole leaf extract of Aloe vera found evidence of carcinogenic activity in male and female rats. The NTP says more information is needed to determine the potential risks to humans.[46][47][48]

Aloe vera juice is marketed to support the health of the digestive system, but there is neither scientific evidence nor regulatory approval to support this claim.[49] The extracts and quantities typically used for such purposes appear to be dose-dependent for toxic effects.[42]
Phytochemicals

Aloe vera leaves contain phytochemicals under study for possible bioactivity, such as acetylated mannans, polymannans, anthraquinone C-glycosides, anthrones, anthraquinones, such as emodin, and various lectins.[4][50][51] Some of these compounds are used to manufacture insecticides.[52]
Commodities

Aloe vera is now used on facial tissues, where it is promoted as a moisturiser and/or anti-irritant to reduce chafing of the nose of users suffering hay-fever or cold.[53] It is common practice for cosmetic companies to add sap or other derivatives from Aloe vera to products such as makeup, tissues, moisturizers, soaps, sunscreens, incense, shaving cream or shampoos.[39] Other uses for extracts of aloe vera include the dilution of semen for the artificial fertilization of sheep,[54] as a fresh food preservative,[55] or for water conservation in small farms.[56] It has also been suggested that biofuels could be obtained from Aloe vera seeds.[57] Aloe is also used as a food substance, possibly for its gelling properties (right image).
Preliminary research

Aloe vera may be effective in treatment of wounds.[5] Evidence on the effects of its sap on wound healing, however, is limited and contradictory.[5] Some studies, for example, show that aloe vera promotes the rates of healing,[58][59] while, in contrast, other studies show that wounds to which aloe vera gel was applied were significantly slower to heal than those treated with conventional medical preparations.[60][61] A 2007 review concluded that the cumulative evidence supports the use of aloe vera for the healing of first to second degree burns.[62] Topical application of aloe vera may also be effective for genital herpes and psoriasis.[63] However, it is not effective for the prevention of radiation-induced injuries.

Gels from Aloe vera have been compared to those derived from other aloe species and with other plants belonging to the family Asphodelaceae. Bulbine frutescens, for example, is used widely for burns and a host of skin afflictions.[64] Aloe vera extracts might have antibacterial and antifungal activities, which possibly could help treat minor skin infections, such as boils and benign skin cysts and may inhibit growth of fungi causing tinea.[65] For bacteria, inner-leaf gel from aloe vera was shown in one study to inhibit growth of Streptococcus and Shigella species in vitro.[66] In contrast, aloe vera extracts failed to show antibiotic properties against Xanthomonas species.[67]

Although claimed to be effective, Aloe vera has not been proven to offer protection for humans from sunburn, suntan, or other damage from the sun.[68][69] In studies on mice, aloe vera polysaccharides preserved the number and morphology of immunosuppressive and dendritic cells in skin damaged by ultraviolet exposure.[70][69]

Compounds extracted from aloe vera may act as an immunostimulant in cats and dogs,[50] but this treatment has not been confirmed or scientifically tested in humans.

In a double-blind clinical trial, both the group using an aloe vera containing dentifrice and another using a fluoridated dentifrice had a reduction of gingivitis and plaque, but no statistically significant difference was found between the two.[71]

Preliminary research has assessed whether aloe vera extracts affect blood glucose[4][72][73] or blood lipids,[74] and in acute hepatitis,[45] effects that may be associated with compounds such as mannans, anthraquinones or lectins.[50][4][51][46]

Other preliminary studies have evaluated whether oral aloe vera gel may affect ulcerative colitis,[37] but this research remains inconclusive.[46]
Toxicity

Ingestion of aloe vera may be associated with diarrhea, electrolyte imbalance, kidney dysfunction, or drug interactions, while topical application may induce contact dermatitis, erythema, or phototoxicity.[4][46]
(21 February 2013, 19:01)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]
(21 February 2013, 18:50)Melissa15 Wrote: [ -> ]27. Acetaminophen (paracetamol) kills snakes. One 1/4 of a tablet is enough.

i shouldnt worry about it, Britain only has one poisonous snake and thats the Adder, most of the time it will see you before you see it..and skedaddle!

i once nearly took a wiz on an adder, it didnt skedaddle, i did. at 14 you dont expect to almost piss on a snake lol
Pages: 1 2