Survival UK Forums

Full Version: 2 WEEKS AFTER TSHTF
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have been on the net looking for welsh wheat producers.....in one of NR s posts his tells us about his maps, and how he marks off routes and other things of interest to ensure when and if he needs to bug out his plans are already in place...sound simple advice ( but i never thought of this ) ...then in one of BP s posts he tells us of how he buys alot of produce from local suppliers for reasons of tastes better and travel distance anyway....again simple stuff ( but i had not thought of it for years ) ....there was a time when you could buy loads of different stuff from local farms around here....that produced their own produce.....but long gone days......or are they?.....anyway back to the point....my search came back with a list of organic producers in wales where i can buy wheat, and piles for stuff..great..so putting NR + BP together you could mark these places on your bo mapes.....if you are on the move and your plans have a forced change....your food sources can be found...ok the gov may take over such places but at the very least you might be able to halfinch some grub.
I bet they've already marked them mate. They've both been prepping longer than we've been alive.
I have no doubts on that S13, but dull buggers like me don,t .....long road for SS then

not a ground breaking post i know but there might be newbies as thick as me
it was an idea i got from NR about marking stuff on a map, i "personalised" that idea by drawing 3 rings around where i live, 5,10 and 15 miles radius, then marked within those circles where all the "goodies" are located and what they are, as soon as i see something new on my travels i make a note of it and when i get home i make a note of it on the map.
then marked within those circles where all the "goodies" are located and what they are, as soon as i see something new on my travels i make a note of it and when i get home i make a note of it on the map.

-That is a fantastic idea! I have some of this info in my head, but under stress it will be much better to have a map than trying to remember where I saw those _________.
Some folks mark maps with annotations, others make notes in a note book and dont write on the maps so others cant nick your map and source all the goodies.

Repost of article, This shows the sort of stuff I keep a look out for.

USEFUL RESOURCE MAPPING
© 2011Northern Raider

A warning about supplies AFTER the collapse of society or ROL

Do ensure that when you approach sources of supplies that they are not already under someone else’s control, do not take unnecessary risks its better to go elsewhere or try again another day.
Avoid confrontation and unnecessary contact until things get as normal as possible, be prepared to barter for supplies. Don’t assume no one is left to claim legal ownership of what ever you find.

Identify and keep records of any useful resources that may be useful to your group post collapse, along with 6 figure grid references. Its often prudent and beneficial to at least have a look at the target via Google Earth, a picture is often worth a thousand words.

Some materials like coal or building materials can frequently be left in place and they are unlikely to come to any harm, unless of course such materials are going to be in short supply.

Highways agency Solar and Wind power generators used to power remote traffic information signs. Suppliers of portable generators, micro wind turbines and PV array suppliers.

Bolt together security fencing, often found around schools and small industrial estates.

Recoverable sources of Firewood, Coal & Coke, Peat, Heating and fuel oil, Bottled Gas (butane and propane). Check coal yards, railway sidings, gas bottled refilling centers etc.

Suppliers of wood and multi fuel stoves.

Petroleum Products, Petrol, Diesel, Avgas, Paraffin (Kerosene), Hypoid, Lubricants etc
(Most petroleum products will need treating with preservatives) Petrol stations, refineries, transport depots etc

Suppliers of Building Materials, Lumber, Bricks, Cement, and Aggregates etc. builders yards, DIY centers, quarries, building sites etc

Water Supplies, Tanks, ponds, reservoirs, streams, wells (including capped ones) artesian and aquifer sources

Water filtration and purification equipment and stockists
Identify locations of fast flowing or fast falling water that could be used to turn generators, mills, etc.

Food stores, supermarkets, distribution centers, regional warehouses, bulk buy outlets, grain stores, farm equipment and grain suppliers etc.

Free range herds of cattle, sheep, chickens, deer etc
Rabbit farms, Rabbit warrens, Fish farms, angling clubs, Small scale special breeds farms (Alpacas, miniature pigs, goats etc).

Allotments, Smallholdings and Orchards.

Off road and agricultural vehicle suppliers.

Camping and Out door equipment stores and suppliers, Military clothing and equipment suppliers. Cobblers, outdoor footwear manufacturers and suppliers.

Chemists, pharmacies and medical equipment suppliers

Tool stores, engineering suppliers, plant hire agencies, sports shops, gun shops, gun smiths, boat yards, marinas, ships chandlers preserved railways etc

Property and Real Estate

Remote or isolated housing that is condusive to self reliance, IE has things like large established vegetable gardens, functioning large chimneys and fire places, ultra insulated, double/ triple glazed, multi-fuel heating / cooking facilities, has a well or other clean (gravity fed) water supply, solar panels, wind turbines, methane digesters, local supplies of fuel, defendable, etc other facilities like outdoor residential centers, outward bound centers, alternative technology centers, camping hostels, retreats etc are worth considering.

Check out footpaths, bridle ways, navigable water ways, canals, rail lines, broadcasting masts, radio masts, wind farms, etc for both salvageable supplies and suitable bug out or safe transport routes.

Please remember that in survival INFORMATION is not only power, but a lifesaver as well.
Just a question here. Wheat, if not ground into flour, will last almost forever. Would it be possible to approach a wheat farmer now and ask if the farmer would sell you the whole wheat grains directly? I suspect it would be cheaper, especially if you had some 5 gallon food-grade plastic buckets with tight-fitting lids to store it in.
even if you can get the grains, its the storage that the problem, i read somewhere it has to be kept at 50 degrees in a dry place, i dont know about America but over here, unless you've got a (very) old place you dont have a walk in larder, and the storage in modern houses is non existent!
(4 May 2013, 10:54)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]even if you can get the grains, its the storage that the problem, i read somewhere it has to be kept at 50 degrees in a dry place, i dont know about America but over here, unless you've got a (very) old place you dont have a walk in larder, and the storage in modern houses is non existent!

If that were the case agriculture would have never developed!

I can not see the fellows back in 8,000bc considering a climate controlled larder. Keeping the seed dry is the big concern, especially if it is only kept year to year for planting.

It is the fellows that try to preserve it for 30 years in plastic tubs that have a problem.

As for storage space???

That is a choice of priorities.

SHTF does not care what your restrictions on storage space are.

And do not kid yourself, that "resource map" is nothing but a looting list! You can not carry enough goods in your BOB to trade for long term supplies. That can only mean you intend to take them or are hoping everyone that has worked to provide them is dead when you get there.

They are already in the safer zone, they already have what you are looking for. While you try to tell yourself you are a "sheepdog" they are looking at you in one of two ways; as sheeple, or as wolves.

One is to be pitied and turned away, the other is to be killed.
are you saying what i've always thought? kill or be killed? or as you Yanks say..shoot first and ask questions later!!

even if it IS blue on blue.
Pages: 1 2 3