Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Idea
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am considering opening a self drive car hire business good idea? or bad? your views on this please. what has it to do with prepping ? well it could be a way to own a 4x4 BOV, and a way to store some extra fuel .
Only if someone else isn't driving it when TSHTF. In may ways this is worse than nothing because if you had nothing you would plan accordinly. This way you won't know if you have a BOV until the day of the event.

As for the car hire firm. If you think you can make a go of it then good luck to you.
Self employment is always a good thing, but car in the normal sense sees a pretty stagnant market, the only ones who APPEAR to be thriving are exotic vehicles, military vehicles, stuff popular with 6th form proms, movie vehicles etc. I note the small scale more local vehicle hire companies seem to be doing OK.
In a word NO david ...unless... you are in a area with next to no compitition....nigh impossible...as NR rightly pionts out exotic stuff will NOT be bread n butter...how many are you thinking of ? ....not 1 4 x 4 i hope
would be at least 9 or 10 mostly small cars budget end of the market
Jimnys Smile
In that case david work on the premise 3 will be booked full for one week ...if you can carry that .....rock on son
There's a company round my way that does van hire. Used to be £20 for 4 hours, had been for 9 years & only just put the prices up to £24.99

The owner is loaded (compared to beforehand when he was a small scale "naughty boy").

The vans aren't the best but he provides what people want. Cheap short term hire.

An example. I bought a shed from focus before it closed thinking it was free delivery (free delivery was in zone 1 only). Delivery was actually £39.99 because I was in their "zone 4" for deliveries. Was cheaper to go rent a van, stick £5 diesel in it & pick the shed up. Saved me £10 & I didn't have to wait in all day for delivery slots. I also used them when I moved. Saved another fortune compared to a removals company.

The way I see it, most people who need a car already have one. Not many people have vans when they need one though.

Whatever you choose to do, I hope it works out for you.

Saved me £15 not £10.
I was considering van hire too or mini bus but not so sure about that
Yep van hire is not a bad business,We used to hire a van in my last job they charged £35 for 24hours and they had a yard which they sell and they continued to run the business from their home and they made good money.
Pages: 1 2