Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Modular emergency shelters ( portable BOLs)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Looks like garage doors hinged together. Would be very easy to make, with a few brackets to help with rigidity.
(28 February 2013, 10:38)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like garage doors hinged together. Would be very easy to make, with a few brackets to help with rigidity.

Not quite as well insulated though!

Still can't beat a caravan / motorhome for cheapness and versatility at the moment.
I would rather have a trailer that way you don't have to keep unpacking all your stuff.
I'd rather have feet and just walk somewhere already built, instead of having to have my shelter 'stealthily/secretly' airlifted into position haha.

If I was opting for a BOL, I wouldn't get one built from bits of garage. Would be okay if it was the bricks from the garage though....but it's not :-(

As a last resort, sure I'd have it, but let's be serious (and realistic) it's not going to be a last resort.....ever! There will be trees, mines, houses, even proper garages!

This is a good idea for an emergency relief mission, but as a real SHTF shelter......it's a no-starter.
I could see these being very handy depending on the price though.
dosent look very large, one or two people might be able to sleep in it but a family with kids are going to be a bit cramped!
Better than a tent in mid winter or during the midge season at a BOL. one of them plus a roll out awning is a basis for a decent BOL even if compact and bijou Smile As SD says price is everything but I for one would not mind lashing one to the side of my van if i had to bug out. At least its not going to collapse under light snow.

Reminds me of those "A" caravans that were around a while back, I thought they were ideal as BO shelter.
(28 February 2013, 13:58)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]I could see these being very handy depending on the price though.

For a catastrophe management system.......like the tsunami, I totally agree! Medical centres, sanitation, etc. As a BOL, it wouldn't be worth the extra effort of building and taking down, etc. It would be less portable than a caravan, less versatile too. One advantage would be a smaller profile in transit than a caravan? It would offer poor insulation, comfort, and benefit.

It seems to be for those people that want less manuverability than a tent, but less useful than a caravan. It's like the iPad, not as mobile as an iPhone, and not as powerful as a MacBook. It has no practical purpose other than gimmick.
Pages: 1 2