Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Any ideas for a DIY oven post shtf?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Would anyone have any ideas on a makeshift oven for post shtf? I'm thinking along the lines of the colemans folding oven that you can buy over in USA but not here in the UK it seems.

I don't fancy using a cast Dutch oven type thing as you can't really regulate temperature that much. Everything I've seen come out of one is always burnt Smile

Look forward to your replies.

Cheers

Literally as I pressed to post the subject, a garden pizza type oven came to mind. Does anyone know if these would be suitable for things like bread making?
i've used the dutch oven some. with practice you can regulate the temperature a little. patience is key. dont put it in the fire. put a few hot coals under, and a couple on top and wait. you can practice with charcoal and put a oven thermometer inside. having said that, would be nice to have a bigger oven. I've checked out the coleman's stove here, didnt buy it cos looked kinda flimsy.
Clay ovens are great for cooking in bread comes out great. Try this link
http://clayoven.wordpress.com/2008/08/29...he-basics/
I've got a stunning little Dutch Oven. Denby. Really impressed with it. Cast iron makes for a good all round temp.

Have you looked into the old Italian clay pizza ovens? Wife's uncle has a stunning one he made himself.
I regularly use dutch ovens, even managed to successfully bake a chocolate cake in the past, but it does take time, patients and practice.
An alternative is a metal dustbin on its side over a small trench fire, idealy you need to mound earth over the dustbin and create a chimney at the back of the dustbin, you also need racking inside like a normal oven to keep food away from the sides of the dustbin.
There used to be a realy good vid on youtube, but I've not been able to find it, the same thing was discussed on bcuk here:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61864

Some good pics lower down the post.
I've got a camping folding oven with temp gauge on it.
Not sure of the make and model because we got a load of secondhand camping stuff and that was in it.
fairly large though, good enough to make a loaf in say or cook a small chook.

What about a metal pedal bin that they sell in the shops?
There about 50 liters or so, tip it on its side and you've got a longish oven with door,

Or a metal bread bin that they've started selling again
Not perfect but better than nothing.

Or a lot of rubbish bins on lamp posts or on the street have a steel drum inner that the rubbish bag attaches to.

You can use the universal key available from places like wilko's that open it.

Bit of a clean and your away.

have a look at this if its in your price range maybe...

Kubex collapsible oven

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kubex-collapsi...27d05885f8

[Image: $T2eC16R,!)kE9s4Z+m!bBRMPyZN)tg~~60_12.JPG]

[Image: $(KGrHqV,!h8FEbbmjvSdBRMPzVYsww~~60_12.JPG]
My next project is to make a woodburning stove with oven and hobb built in from a calor gas bottle...got the bottles just a bit of time required...as soon as i,v made it ,i will put pics up along with the others i made and the corn grinder i refurbished ...will get around to it as i promised
what about a hay box?
I know it's miles from a oven, but at uni when the weather was good, our whole corridor used to have awesome BBQs!!!

BBQ was super easy to make. Had a metal drum, cut it in half, top to bottom. Folded some heavy wire mesh over it, drilled holes in the bottom for air circulation (and if rain gets through our under-a-tree storage system).

After that is done, add BBQ logs and coal, lighter fluid and a lit match.....hey presto, BBQ for the corridor and the uni BJJ team...and girlfriends. Regularly cooked 20 chicken breasts at once! Good eating, great times!!!
(2 March 2013, 23:39)Geordie_Rob Wrote: [ -> ]Would anyone have any ideas on a makeshift oven for post shtf? I'm thinking along the lines of the colemans folding oven that you can buy over in USA but not here in the UK it seems.

I don't fancy using a cast Dutch oven type thing as you can't really regulate temperature that much. Everything I've seen come out of one is always burnt Smile

Look forward to your replies.

Cheers

Literally as I pressed to post the subject, a garden pizza type oven came to mind. Does anyone know if these would be suitable for things like bread making?

what do you plan on cooking in an oven?
I have seen people makeprimative bread just using 2 deep baking trays on a wood burner
Pages: 1 2