Survival UK Forums

Full Version: A day in a forge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

been looking for a "day in a forge" type thing, so I can see how it's done and what's involved and hopefully make something!

Anyone have a forge they'd be willing to show off? I'm happy to pay for time and materials if you're happy to teach me your ways.

Cheers,

Ben
Its good to see the Blacksmiths trade returning again, even if its only as more of a decorative art trade than a practical / horse / farm one, I used to love watching an old Blacksmith when I was a kid,... he was a traveling Smithy
Learning how to forge is one of my biggest wishes,i wish i'd tried to take it up as a career when i was younger as it's my ideal job.(it took me 20 years to realise it though)Confused .I make stock removal knives as a hobby but i'd love to learn to forge them.
Amazing skill to learn, that and being a farrier, good luck with it beardy
(7 March 2013, 20:59)Talon Wrote: [ -> ]Learning how to forge is one of my biggest wishes,i wish i'd tried to take it up as a career when i was younger as it's my ideal job.(it took me 20 years to realise it though)Confused .I make stock removal knives as a hobby but i'd love to learn to forge them.

All the info on how to forge is out there. It is easy to set up a simple expedient forge and it can be done for very little cost. If you can do stock removal and use tools, then you should have no problem with simple forging. Knife blades are one of the easier tasks to undertake. Good luck, TL.