Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Air pollution in UK cities IS affecting health
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Increasing traffic, increasing population, congestion, over crowding all a direct thread to the urban members of our community, So gents, ladies and ghost how about exploring the trend from Tokyo, Beijing, Montreal, Rio etc of the switched on wearing respirators and particulate masks EDC or keeping them in your BOBs?

I note the youth sub culture that is shared among the DARK, Industrial, GOTH and Electro types are nearly all wearing dust maks, respirators, particle filters etc as a direct part of their urban culture.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21691784
when i was a kid in the summer , we sat and watched clouds form whispy patterns in a clear sky.
now in the summer you cant see the clouds for smog where i live.
we can even time them perfectly to coincide with the factories around teeside.

surrounded by man made fog.
I think the respirator thing makes sense. Cyclists have been doing that for over a decade.

Not sure whether it would go down well to wear one, but who cares?......hopefully not the policeman with a gun haha!

I believe this issue is far less serious that the damage too much cake can do. That extra Mars bar, that extra biscuit, that unhealthy bit of food, those are posing a greater risk, and they're not city exclusive!!!
i can choose not to eat the cake / mars bar or buiscit,
i have to breathe the air.
Most people in citys dont need cars,there just lazy
metroyeti, your exactly right.
i live on an estate where i watch people take the car to the shop.
if you cut through the alley its less than 30 metres on foot.
(7 March 2013, 11:33)Luci_ferson Wrote: [ -> ]i can choose not to eat the cake / mars bar or buiscit,
i have to breathe the air.

In which case, people need to take control of what they can reasonable change....like the food they eat and the liquids they drink. The respirators is a good idea, but so it a healthy diet.
I think this is an issue that must be discussed and explored especially for our current urban members, and because if a really nasty SHTF even kicks off their could be massive amounts of toxins and pollution ( plus dead bodies) fouling the air for weeks if the cities go up in smoke, plus the uncollected rubbish etc. If pollution levels are INCREASING even after all the clean air rules we have a duty to plan and react. Dont forget our kids are nearer the pollution than us as its generally heavier than air and settles from the ground up.

Dont forget you may need to bug out on foot through clouds of soot, exhaust fumes, smoke, burning buildings etc so decent respirators and goggles need to be looked at.

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/261159686...pla&crdt=0

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Model...tAodNWoA6A

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000NOPVY8/re...two=&hvqmt=

(7 March 2013, 11:34)Metroyeti Wrote: [ -> ]Most people in citys dont need cars,there just lazy

Bollocks, utter bollocks, its replies like this that make me wonder why I bloody bother working on forums like this.
id never considered getting to bug out during air pollution problems, thanks for making me aware of it.
even a few basic masks would be advisable for me to have handy, due to my location.
only wish i could get a radiation suit too lol
We dont get a say in when we HAVE to bug out, its the events beyond our control that dictate that, If the city is ablaze, water pressure failed, bodies rotting in the streets, disease spreading etc etc we unfortunately have to BO when the circumstances force us. And even I rural NR could in theory be in a city or large town when TSHTF, so I want a mask and eye protection in my kit now.

BTW if pollution is that bad in places like London now in normal times just imagine what it would be like with million of motorists stuck in mega traffic jams all trying to leave the city just sat for hours with their engines running., Theres no ferkin way I would expose my kids or wife to that level of airborne crap.
Pages: 1 2 3 4