Survival UK Forums

Full Version: "The Last American Man" falls foul of building regs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
some interesting pictures in this piece, this is what happens when you raise your head above the parapet! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...codes.html
Ridiculous.
(18 March 2013, 11:59)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]Ridiculous.

yep, its more of a camp than a farm, and i dont think you can apply building regs to a campsite.
shockingly in the uk you do need to have a license for a campsite and planning permission http://www.pitchup.com/how-start-campsite-caravan-park/ not sure about the us tho!
trouble is he set it up to run "educational" courses i think and for that you do need planning permission, in the states or here, if it was just for his own use he MIGHT have got away with it but for educational purposes your up againt "Elf & Safety".
Interesting read.

Not hugely prepper related, but still interesting.

One thing I'd say, use this as an example of how not to set up an off grid home.

There are so many planning permission certs being sent off, if you did put something through, you should be able to get away with a couple of SMALL things that will make it easily adjustable to become totally off grid!

Something like this guys place, if he had full planning permission and was attached to the grid, it should be pretty simple to take the home off grid and to be self sufficient post SHTF.

The moral of the story is....do everything by the book, with the idea to take everything out of one book and into another when need be.
The fact hes mostly self sufficient,lives off grid with no tv, surprised they didnt chase him sooner. Mabye starring in mountain men tv show raised his profile to high?
ive watched this guy on mountain men show and must admit his buildings/structure do look a bit diy ish.
but have they fallen down ?
theyve been after him a while and are determend to destroy this way of life.
being self sufficient ask society for nothing .....Angry
(18 March 2013, 13:40)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting read.

not prepper related? living in the mountains, off grid, self sufficient! i think its got everything to do with Prepping, i thought the photos were interesting at least.
(18 March 2013, 14:17)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]
(18 March 2013, 13:40)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting read.

not prepper related? living in the mountains, off grid, self sufficient! i think its got everything to do with Prepping, i thought the photos were interesting at least.

US planning law comes down on off grid guy.........so what? That's not prepping related. We're not American, so really, there is not much significance to this article. If however you push the principles above, as I have, then it becomes prepping related. If not, then it's just an interesting read that won't effect ANYTHING AT ALL about my prepping.

Why do you think SD is closing threads that are interesting to read, but have nothing to do with prepping? Take for example, the Cyprus 10% deposit to pay for debt thread. That was closed. Why was it closed? Because it was just an interesting story. There was nothing that made it prepper related.

If the Cyprus article was joined with the words "it could become a UK situation and so, I suggest keeping very little in bank accounts and holding more as cash or precious metals" then it becomes prepper related. Until then, it's just an interesting news read.
Pages: 1 2 3