Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Gas cooker Alteration
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Last year we bought a new gas cooker.
it was a waste of money as it isn't really very good and the mrs hates it.
It came with a little bag of brass burners, and a spanner.
The leaflet says theyre so it can be ran on propane for caravan use.
sadly ive lost the instruction book it came with and only have the leaflet that shows how to swap the burners over.

if theres anyone here that knows about gas cookers.
how would I go about connecting it to a propane tank.
obviously id need a regulator, and hose.
do I just cut off the old connector and put on the regulator valve
or do I have to do anything else.

just wondering if its worth buying her a new one so that I can convert this one over.

actually , forget buying her a new one.
I just need to know if its worth me buying a propane regulator and a gas bottle.
or do I have to do anything more complicated than swapping the burners and changing the connector.
Wouldn't you be able to find instructions or an online manual online?
What breed (make/model) is it ? Chatting to a gas engineer tonight at darts, so I'll pick his brains.
ive found the manual online. now just need printer ink, as online manual will be pretty useless with no net access.
but you got to love google and a model number.

looks pretty simple to convert over. now I just got to decide wether its worth the £80 for a regulator, and the £140 for a pair of gas bottles
(24 March 2013, 20:01)Luci_ferson Wrote: [ -> ]ive found the manual online. now just need printer ink, as online manual will be pretty useless with no net access.
but you got to love google and a model number.

looks pretty simple to convert over. now I just got to decide wether its worth the £80 for a regulator, and the £140 for a pair of gas bottles

Get a 2nd hand regulator - I did and it cost me a lot less than £80!
Where are you getting your gas bottles from? You don't have to have the massive ones? When I had my Omar home in the garden I used less than one of those big bottles in a year, and the gas ran the hot water as well as the oven.

I've got a couple of the blue bottles in the garden if you want them?
gas regulator was from a shop called the range they got them marked up as £75
but yep I reckon il find a second hand one much cheaper. (probably connected to something)
as for the blue bottles, I don't think you can get them refilled with propane. theyre for butane.
but thanks anyway.

i might be lucky and get a bottle with whatever I buy that has the regulator attached.
Is there no industrial estates you can "find" an empty then exchange it for the full one? Will save a fortune compared to buying a new bottle.
im sure il find one somewhere.
(24 March 2013, 16:28)Luci_ferson Wrote: [ -> ]...It came with a little bag of brass burners, and a spanner.
The leaflet says theyre so it can be ran on propane for caravan use.
sadly ive lost the instruction book it came with and only have the leaflet that shows how to swap the burners over.

if theres anyone here that knows about gas cookers.
how would I go about connecting it to a propane tank.
obviously id need a regulator, and hose.
do I just cut off the old connector and put on the regulator valve
or do I have to do anything else....
usually those brass thingies are the nozzles for the different gas type. since the propane gas is most potent, the nozzles with the smallest hole are the right ones.
often there is number stamped on spare nozzle, the smaller the number the more potent gas this nozzle is intended for.
spanner is for changing the nozzles.
as a rule you have to adjust the air flow throttle every time you change the gas supplier or the nozzles with the type of the gas.
throttle is usually a cylindrical piece of sheet metal around the nozzle covering the air intake to the burner and it has a slot for stopper screw for adjusting.

air flow is adjusted like this:
flame has to be blue in colour with the little yellow or orange coloured tips. and if the nozzle is right the height of the flame in the minimum power position should be about 2 cm high, no more.
if there is only weak blue colour - there is too much air and the burning is unstable. move the throttle a little bit (couple of mm) towards covering the air intake and try again.
if the flame is too bright yellow - there is lack of air in the fuel-oxygen mixture and it is going to create smoke and soot. move the throttle a little bit off the burner air intake.

is this one burner cooker or several burners (2 or 4) cooker you have?
in case of multiple burners with the different sizes of burners you have to be especially careful about the nozzles.
pretty much exactly what the online manual said