Survival UK Forums

Full Version: dogs at your retreat or BOL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
as long as u dont get roti's. they mean well but there dumb as fuck lol
i dont think its got anything to do with the breed, its more the way they are trained, i've know Staffi's who are the nastiest beast around and others that are really soppy, its all to do with the owners, some people should not be allowed an animal of any kind.
we have two med size dogs, they are a great alarm system as long as we stay home. i worry though that trying to stay invisible is even harder with dogs. i know i could muzzle them but afraid that would interfere too much with their breathing/ panting and they would die of heat exhaustion. for me, taking the dogs is very hard decision to make and probably wont make it until the time comes. lots of pros and cons. most notably they are part of our pack as the article says.

i saw on a show about the history of mankind that one of the greatest advancements early humans made was to team up with dogs. humans + dogs is a serious force in nature.
I am going to go into history teacher mode here for a while;

On the American frontier dogs were considered a necessity. This was in a time that would very closely duplicate the situation post SHTF. Danger everywhere, enemies hiding behind ever bush, crude living conditions.

One of the REQUIREMENTS for joining a troop of longhunters, usually the first people into a colonial frontier area thick with native hostiles, was that they have a good horse and at least one good dog.

The prefered breed in the frontier fort settlements was a cross between an English mastaff and a foxhound. German boarhounds were also favored breeds, often crossed with bulldogs and mastaffs.

To this day it is almost impossible to approach a farm house without alerting the family dog/security system. In modern times it is usually a shepard, collie, or border collie mix.

I have had a couple of magnifican mutts down through the years. One cocker spaniel mix was excellent with my children when they were small. He appointed himself as their pesonal body guard.

However, the best/smartest dog I have had was an Austrailian blue heeler.

I have a friend that operates a grayhound rescue and has been begging me to take a grayhound of late. I travel too much to deal with it now.

The idea of a coursier that can range for its own food and add to the pot is appealing in a SHTF dog.
Well, we shall be staying put. Everything we need here is - including the dog (a raging, stranger-hating collie!). We've had to replace the gate - he was eating through the last one. He's out self-appointed guardian and watchdog, and he's on perimeter patrol all day; sleeps on the bed at night, and generally keeps us all in order. Good luck getting into our place!
Well I have five dogs, including three German Shepherds, no-one gets within a couple of hundred yards of our gate without them seeing the person/car and letting us know about it

So yes a dog or two would be good after an event,... but, they would need to be obedient dogs, if not then they suddenly become a liability,...so if something happened tomorrow not all my dogs will survive,.. a very old Bearded Collie [ 14 yrs ] would not, a daft Border Collie would not.

I am sure to keep two of the three Shepherds, one has a question mark over her as she is a bit timid,... the other two,..well you wouldn't want to mess with either of them
My dogs staying couldnt part with him. I see the benefits of having dogs, they alert you to someones presence, you might not be aware someones near. They also keep you warm. Downside of dogs is its another mouth to feed and worry about. Also if you see sheeple going past and want to remain undetected a dog could give your position away by barking.
(26 March 2013, 23:45)Metroyeti Wrote: [ -> ]My dogs staying couldnt part with him. I see the benefits of having dogs, they alert you to someones presence, you might not be aware someones near. They also keep you warm. Downside of dogs is its another mouth to feed and worry about. Also if you see sheeple going past and want to remain undetected a dog could give your position away by barking.

This is why you need obedient dogs,.. we have often stalked deer, and I can keep all my Shepherds as quite as mice, and still too
Pages: 1 2