Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Leaving UK
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Mass migration is a constant factor in Human society, brought about either by economic or environmental pressures. You only have to look for instance at the waves of migration in the 5 Century BCE that ultimately assisted in the collapse of the Western Roman Empire. The majority of those people moved to what they thought would be better land to farm on etc.
This post is not about immigrants or their affect on the Uk, rather it is looking at the possibility of preppers from the UK moving to warmer climates in the event of total breakdown and serious reduction in population. Farming and trying to survive in a self sufficient manner is hard enough as it is, it is even harder given our fickle climate and inconsistent growing season, it is so much easier with a bit of Sun and warmth.
Have any of you ever considered this, or thought about how, and where you would go?
I'd like to consider exactly that, though its a logistical nightmare from where i am.

realistically your on your own, unless you are mega wealthy and manage to buy your way out of the country!

people can swim the channel, its been done, but it's not for everyone.

i'm currently looking at inflatable dinghies with motor mounts, that, would be my only way of leaving the country.
i really dont think anywhere is better than Britain just DIFFERENT, a few years ago if i'd had the money i would have moved to northern France, they say RURAL France is like Britain was 50 years ago and i like the old rural houses..but dont have the dosh to go. Spain is too hot, Portugal maybe.
you always need to remember that the first people to settle in this area didn't settle here for the good weather or the views.
they setteled for the excellent fertile soil and large rainfall.
although not much use for growing exotic fruits.
its perfect for all the staples of your diet.
including grains.
we are a nation of farmers. weve just forgotten our roots.
between the industrial revolution. and modern times paying farmers not to grow weve virtually forgotten why man even bothered settling here.
its all about the land. and the rainfall. im staying in England.
oh so am i! i cant see me leaving North Devon anytime, maybe just move further North East where there are less people.
I wouldn't leave devon either, far too many places close by where you could voluntarily disappear.
plenty of good land for growing. nice mild climate.
youd be insane to leave unless you had too.
(3 April 2013, 11:36)Luci_ferson Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't leave devon either, far too many places close by where you could voluntarily disappear.
plenty of good land for growing. nice mild climate.

yep, you've got it! funny thing is some people dont believe that when i tell them ( nowt as queer as folk!)Big GrinBig Grin
if they don't believe it, then they've never been for a proper walk in devon.
I agree LS we do have good soil and rainfall here and our land can produce all our old staple crops, but I would miss the ability to grow peppers, toms, vines, courgettes and all the other tender crops in a TEOTWAWKI scenario, and I don't honestly know how long greenhouses and polytunnels would last, a warmer climate means you can grow all your English crops and everything else without having to worry about sunlight levels.
In a seriously depleted population there woud be ample opportunity to take a boat and simply sail across the 21 miles of the channel, or even the Channel isles. If there are any nautical types out there how easy would this be to do?
peppers and toms can be grown in NE of England so they grow anywhere really.
you just need to protect them from the cold and don't plant them out too early.
Pages: 1 2 3 4