Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Questions on knitting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to ask a few questions on knitting as I am learning to do it and putting a lot of effort into learning.

What patterns (I think it’s what they called) would you recommend I learn? I want to keep it as simple as possible in terms of it does the job well it is meant to do and I learn the skills at a decent speed so I can make any items required no matter the circumstances for me and others. I am intending to go down the clothing route to over time learn to make clothing and footwear using other methods too.

What needles would you recommend if so how many? I have two needles so far which I am learning the basics at moment with knitting and want to take it further.

Any training courses you can recommend? If it will cost money to learn to make the items by hand I am prepared to pay reasonable amounts so I can learn.

What material would you recommend I knit with that would be best suited to last a long time, take a lot of wear and tear, be the best it can be with possible rainfall, light and warm?

Thank you if I have missed anything out let me know.
Stick to plain and purl on fairly big needles until you are confident. It's easier to cast on and cast off with bigger needles. Try using a blended wool - like wool and acrylic - in a fairly decent thickness. You'll soon get the hang of it. First thing I ever knitted was a scarf; after that I was out of the slips and into jumpers!
very good to see someone taking an interest in a skill that will be highly usefull after tshtf.
knitting isn't an option for me due to arthritis, but the misses can crochet just about anything.
my nan used to knit ,she showed me once but didnt get the hang of it wish i did now
Big needles, I used to get wool really cheap at carboots. Try a scarf first, nice and easy to make.dont forget you can reuse wool, and if its beyond wearing you can compost it
I remember my grandmother unpicking old sweaters to reuse the wool. A quick wash and then a tight rewind and it was as good as new. It's a very good craft to have under your belt.
my mother used to do that in the 70s to knit us jumpers.
we hated it.
she wasn't very good.
one sleeve was always longer than the other. but come shtf you wouldn't care about that.