Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Bramble Rambling
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sat here thinking about those Autmn days picking brambles, and how many times I've had to cut my way into them, and how much time this can take, imagine having them all around your property as a living deterrent. A good deep Bramble bush would be a nightmare to get through and very noisy to boot, plus all that lovely bramble wine, locally called jungle juice.
One of the natural defences we should all encourage. It feeds us, it protects us, it looks natural unlike barbed wire and so it helps us hide. What is there not to like... well it stabs us as well but we can live with that.
forgot to mention it grows fast as well.
I have mentioned brambles and biers before, you cant beat them as a barrier,.. they do need something to grow against to start with though, a natural clump is all intertwined within itself, to keep itself up, otherwise they grow in single long strands.

So,.. personally I would buy and plant some gooseberries bushes first and grow the brambles in those, you then have two friuts
ive got long planters spaced every 3 foot about 2 foot away from the top of my fence these are filled with brambles so that they can grow over the fence along the top and hang down other side
should keep most people out of my back garden.

every year my misses and the kids used to collect the brambles from the industial estate about 30 metres from our house.
we went to have a look at them 3 days ago when we went to pay for greenhouse.
TPTB have cut them all down and concreted where they used to be.
we wont be getting non from there this year.

give it 2 years and the concrete will be all split and the brambles will be back though.

They did the same a few years back over on the waste ground. now you can hardly tell they had ever been removed.
Ah yes, one of nature's survivors the bramble. That reminds me, I've got a gallon of blackberry wine to rack off and bottle.
diesel kills all plants, trees really quickly. best hope the attackers dont know this....although most wont risk the effort.
(7 April 2013, 23:47)Wildman Wrote: [ -> ]diesel kills all plants, trees really quickly. best hope the attackers dont know this....although most wont risk the effort.

.... but even dead brambles would not loose their defense ability
if someone has diesel, I cant really see them wasting it on brambles.
I've got two Goosegog bushes as we love em yumyum. I can't decide whether to go to the garden centre and buy some Bramble bushes, or just select a good wild specimen and take cuttings off it. Some of the modern varieties have all the vigour of their wild parents but have better fruit. Another native fruit is the Blachcurrant and the jam is just fantastic. They grow quickly and with a little bit of training you can get pounds of fruit off a suprisingly small bush.