Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Chillis
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ive currently got about 45 chilli plants of varying types.

habenaro, jalopeno , cayenne , and Hungarian hotwax.

(don't ask why theres so many , I have my reasons)

im a total novice to outside growing and im just learning the importance of certain plants liking south facing walls etc.

everything ive ever grown was in a climatically controlled cupboard.

my question is this.

ive been speaking to a lot of gardeners and other allotment holders.
every single one of them has been surprised that I have chillis.
their own have all perished this year.

mine were simply thrown in pots and left on a window sill.

has anyone here had trouble with chillis this year. ?

if so , have you any idea what caused it, as I don't want to lose my plants when I move them to the greenhouse.
Our friends have loads of chilli plants and they're all doing fine.

Not sure why any would be dying off. Maybe they didn't properly insulate their green houses or they didn't have any heating system for the winter?

I'm going to be popping plants into the garden later this year, and working on winter harvest crops as well as getting everything ready for the winter.
no idea whats been going on round here with the chillis.

we had our boiler fixed 2 weeks ago, and the engineer saw my chillis on the window and tried to buy some.
he was the first that told me hed lost all his own.
then one of the other allotment holders told me the same happened to his.

and yesterday another told me all his died too.

glad to see others have had no problems. my greenhouse comes in just over a week and I was getting afraid to move them.

luckily it got me a load of free rhubarb and strawberry plants cos now im swapping a few to another allotment holder.

The man yesterday , who ive swapped a few chillis for strawberries and rhubarb, was the one that told me everyone in the area has lost their chillis.

My OH is a member of a allotment group on facebook. and all their group members have lost theres too.

I was afraid it was a disease or something.

maybe they just all had the same chillis or something.
bad seeds or something daft.
Luci, it rather depends where those people were keeping their chillies. If it was outside over the winter I would be astonished if any survived. They like sunny, warm conditions. Too much humidity and they get mould. You are obviously providing the climate they like.
id assume they had them in greenhouses, surely no-one is daft enough to put them outside.

either way it got me some strawberries and rhubarb so alls good.

now just got to look forward to the greenhouse.