Survival UK Forums

Full Version: survival:the ultimate form of resistance.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(10 April 2013, 17:55)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]
(10 April 2013, 17:39)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]Oh yes you can BP,.. if only we could talk to the people of the Highland clearances who were turfed out of their homes with nothing, those people survived, they survived because they had the knowledge, that's all you need really
i dont think they did survive HL, wasnt that when they had the potato famine and a lot died? and didnt a lot of the ones that survive emmigrate to America?

Not everyone fell into those categories, there was a village close to me that was ransacked and the people turfed out to live on the shore about ten miles away, they survived and built new homes from what they found.

Clearly not everyone died during the Potato famine some managed to survive,... but thats a good point and does drives it home, not to put all our hopes into one box

Not everyone was sent from Scotland to far flung places, many were simply turfed out and had to make do,... only the better laids paid for their tenants passage abroad,... many simply hoped they would die off away from their land, no crofter could afford passage to America
(10 April 2013, 18:06)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]Not everyone fell into those categories, there was a village close to me that was ransacked and the people turfed out to live on the shore about ten miles away, they survived and built new homes from what they found.

Clearly not everyone died during the Potato famine some managed to survive,... but thats a good point and does drives it home, not to put all our hopes into one box

Not everyone was sent from Scotland to far flung places, many were simply turfed out and had to make do,... only the better laids paid for their tenants passage abroad,... many simply hoped they would die off away from their land, no crofter could afford passage to America
yes, but they had to build new homes as you said, thats my point, we need shelter out of the wind, rain and cold, we cannot survive "going native" in the woods, we either have to build new dwellings of one form or another or use existing abandoned structures. thats why i dont think going nomad-as someone said on another thread- is feasible either.
If you have the skills then you can build a very good cold weather shelter out of what you find in woodland, depending on the weather at the time, it might be the first priority,.. but would need to be done asp
(10 April 2013, 18:16)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]If you have the skills then you can build a very good cold weather shelter out of what you find in woodland, depending on the weather at the time, it might be the first priority,.. but would need to be done asp

yes, that would be the first phase, phase 2 would be building something more solid and permanent, and completed before the first snows of winter set in.
What happens if the snow is on the ground ? you can go round and round as BP said a building that's already there is the best option , and if there is not you simply have to construct one , the materials would be what ever is at hand and within your means to collect them, but it would be ... or should be obvious your not going to make it without shelter, being warm n dry is a must have , but a water is number 1 so where ever you end up, don't forget water.... a stone wall at a corner of a field could be a good place to start....all gaps could be sealed with mud inside and grass clods the on the outer and roof with a tarp slung over timbers first , at least you have a shelter , till circumstances allow better
total agree with the short term shelter then look or build something better
shelter is one advantage urban / suburban areas have
(10 April 2013, 19:15)Rush2112 Wrote: [ -> ]shelter is one advantage urban / suburban areas have

but depending on how any event panned out then there are going to be one hell of a lot of panicked, hungry, desperate and possible diseased people wandering around trying to get anything they

and who knows what someone that has starving kids will do for a bit of food
(10 April 2013, 18:06)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]
(10 April 2013, 17:55)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]
(10 April 2013, 17:39)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]Oh yes you can BP,.. if only we could talk to the people of the Highland clearances who were turfed out of their homes with nothing, those people survived, they survived because they had the knowledge, that's all you need really
i dont think they did survive HL, wasnt that when they had the potato famine and a lot died? and didnt a lot of the ones that survive emmigrate to America?

Not everyone fell into those categories, there was a village close to me that was ransacked and the people turfed out to live on the shore about ten miles away, they survived and built new homes from what they found.

By the end of the potato famine, which was in the mid 1800s, there were more Irish in America than in Ireland!

As for the Scotts and the enclosures, the standard was not for anyone to "pay for passage". Most of those people sold themselves into indentured service to pay for passage.

They were auctioned off on the docks, like slaves, by the ship's captain to recoup his passage fee.

There were roving bands of hundreds of people traveling to the cities looking for work and food. Churches and church yards were their favored sanctuaries.

There were not enough poorhouses and workhouses to accomodate them and a whole new system was built around these mases of fodder for the industrial revolution.

Many were sold right out the workhouse doors as cheap labor for the colonies.

As with the Irish, there are more decendants of the cleared Scotts in North America, New Zealand and Austrailia than there are in Scotland.
My goodness, you are a cheery lot!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5