Survival UK Forums

Full Version: the reasons for eating by the seasons.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
great BP what seasons we talking about ....snowing in Tredegar yesterday... only a bit but snow ATS
when i was a kid we didnt have supermarkets bringing in stuff from all over the world, we ate what was in season, if it wasnt in season you couldnt get it!Big Grin
I can't argue with your logic on this BP as eating in season is exactly what we used to do, and when the produce doesn't have far to travel it is obviously better for the condition and nutritional value of the food. But I will be honest and say i would definately miss tropical fruits and I can't grow Mango trees in YorkshireAngry
Some of the article sounded a little bit hippy with the whole nature provides what you need but post SHTF you wont have a choice if you grow your own veg. It is important to know what you get from what plants certain plants have higher levels of certain vitamins and minerals than others
growing and eating fresh produce has always been better in terms of health, a lot if not all of this foreign stuff is picked UNDER ripe and then travels thousands of miles, eating locally and what is in season is much better and post SHTF will be the ONLY way to go.
I know BP but no banana's, coconuts, Mango's and Pineapples mate, I'm filling up just thinking about it. That's why my arse needs to be in the SunBig Grin
(11 April 2013, 11:27)Tartar Horde Wrote: [ -> ]I know BP but no banana's, coconuts, Mango's and Pineapples mate, I'm filling up just thinking about it. That's why my arse needs to be in the SunBig Grin

yeah i know, i like bananas too, dont go much for mango or pineapples, but if its not available post SHTF then we'll just have to do without wont we?i was brought up on "in season" stuff, and it was just a fact of life in our house, it was normal so we didnt question it.
Same here BP ...ALL our veg came from the allotments or our garden, berries were picked , nuts were picked , watercress was picked , wimberries , store sheds filled ready for winter packed in wooden trays .....and nan saying " coming to the end now " as we got down to shelf 2 of 8 shelves , and more regular inspections, and the last of the pickled onions ( one of me and nan's secret indulgences )