Survival UK Forums

Full Version: No spin knife throwing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just thought you might be interested in this.

I've always needed a couple of throws to get accurate spin for knife throwing, but then came across the Thorn Method the other day.

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji1nBmcKuoo
will give that a go pal nice one S13
Thats interesting because when we were kids we used almost the same style of knife throwing but as an underarm throw,.. holding the handle of the knife, taking a exaggerated under arm swing and letting go,... a bit like spiderman throws his web [ sorry best way I can describe it ]
Does anyone know the type of knife the guy was using?
I mean is there a specific model name or number etc for it?

Thanks! Smile
I found that style of throwing to be good with a heavy knife at short range. However to get distance you need to spin. That said, throwing a knife is not great for distance work however you do it, so perfecting that throw would probably be enough for most real life situations.
I hope I'm never in a situation when my best option is to throw my knife though... when that happens you must be really low on options! I have already turned my best throwing knife into a spear head.

Although I did get one of my knives to ricochet and stick in my own head... so perhaps you shouldn't listen to me anyway!
What kind of range were you looking at when you say you need spin? He does one demo throw that's got some damn good range.

I confess that knife throwing is more of a novelty thing for me than it is a survival skill.

Tried Panandata, but couldn't always get the spins first time.
Yes, kind of as I said, any distance that would be practical to throw could be done with that kind of technique imo. You can't throw a knife like a dart, straight on through the air. A no spin method is actually a kind of quarter spin method, where it kind of goes through 45 degrees from vertical to horizontal by the time it reached the target (most of this transition occur during release). This limits how far you can throw it. Spinning it can go much further, but the chances of achieving anything over that range will not be like on TV.

So yes, it looks like a good method to practice. I too did what he did as a kid, trying out different stuff and kind of discovered a similar technique. I've never been a brilliant knife thrower, but it was a lot of fun learning ... ... ... except for the knife in the head incident... always check for a bent tip!